Re: [Epic] Newbie Questions (Yet again)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:16:32 +1000

Paul Welling wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Ok, We (my son and I) are complete newbies to this game - just got the
> Warhammer Epic 40K set last week. So far, so good! The game looks and
> plays great; kinda brings me back 15 or so years to the old "Chainmail"
> days.. :)

Chainmail? Better make that 20+ years, not 15... I first saw it in 1975.

> First off, if I read the rules correctly, the Space Marine Land Raiders
> seem awful tough! 2 shots/turn, hit on 4+? Is that right? The rulebook says
> "2x anti-tank". Very powerful...

You read right. The Land Raider has been turned into a galloping
Grossossity. And for less than 40 points too. What this means is that
all SM-only forces should have a reasonable proportion of Land Raiders.

> Secondly, the description of the Space Marine Scouts says they are not as
> well armored as the regular Marines, but the stats chart shows them as
> being the SAME except add Infiltrator.. am I missing something?

Nope. Various proposals have been put forward on this one, including
some of my own. I've come around to thinking that they should delete
stubborn, rapid fire, and have an armour of 4+ (maybe). And of course a
reduced points cost.

> Another thing: It's kinda unclear about bikes/boarz.. does each piece
> represent one unit, or does a stand of 3 equal a unit? One Marine combat
> bike has a firepower of 2; The ork battlewagons only Have a fp of 1..
> Doesn't seem right.

OK, Bikes, Boars et alia:
Bikes which are multi-crewed, ie Eldar Vipers and Space Marine Attack
Bikes, are individual vehicles. Boars, Rough Riders, and single-crewed
bikes are mounted 3 to a stand. Thus an SM Attack Bike has an FP of 2,
and a stand of 2 SM bikes has an FP of 1 (for the three in toto).

As for the Attack Bike having twice the FP of an Ork Battlewagon, yes it
does seem funny. HOWEVER... if like me you have now over 200
Battlewagons, no two quite the same, it seems less odd, even logical.
Many of my Battlewagons have no external armament, others bristle with
it. ON AVERAGE they have an FP of 1, though many would have 0, others 3.
As an Ork Warboss would never be sure exactly what Kustomisation the
Mekboyz have been done on the gear since last battle, he can't
realsitically pick and choose.
I came up with a system of 3 different "generic" Battlewagons, so that
On Average, if you took one of each type you'd get an FP of 3, a CF of 6
etc, a carrying capacity of 3 etc. In playtests it worked quite well,
but everyone including myself has abandoned it because given the size of
detachments, it has no different effect than having 3 of the standard
types. But if you think this flavourless, by all means use the different
variants!

> Also, if anyone has any advice, tips, stories, etc.. we'd LOVE to hear
> them.. We are just getting into the whole thing, so any tidbits would be
> muchly appreciated! :)

OK, general advice:

Close Combat is risky. Do matter how much the odds stack in your favour,
you still have a small chance of losing. So make sure this won't be an
utter disaster, and have a second line behind your first. In addition,
both the winner and lose take a lot of casualties, and often the
"winner" is in no shape to explout any temporary victory, and will be
taken out by a second wave.

Orks work best with the "Green Wave", which is actually a succession of
Green Waves. Marines OTOH are best at taking strongpoints early, going
"hard" and obliterating attacks on overwatch. They also have the ability
to bug out quick if they get hit by too much force.

More later.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo