Re: [Epic] Question about Engines of Vaul...

From: <anvil_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 16:30:55 -0400

Larry Irish wrote:

> Hi all -
> A bit of a ramble about the Engines of Vaul, followed by a couple question
> about how I _think_ the EoV's should work....
>
> Both the Scorpion and Cobra are armed with SHW's - a Pulsar and a D-cannon,
> respectively. They also have Hull weapons for a FP of 2. Looking over the
> most recent Q&A from Jervis (Thanks, Allen!), I see:
>
> >Pulsar
> >Q: An Eldar Pulsar fires as D6 Anti-Tank shots. How many blast markers
> >shut down a Pulsar?
> > a) A single blast marker will prevent a Pulsar from firing.
> >Answer: a
>
> Ouch. It sounds like BlastMarkers are the bane of both EoV's, since the
> D-cannon is definately a SHW, no discussion. Some quick math told me that 3
> little BM's would completely silence a unit of EoV's. <sigh>
>
> Then I remembered the Hull weapons - you can use their FP to 'pay off' the
> lost FP due to BM's, right??
>
> Another question: In order to use the hull wpns, do they have to be in
> range? This sounds a bit dicey, I realize, but I'm wondering how I can use
> the EoV's as I envision them: keeping them at max range and popping up to
> blow away bad guys. As it stands now, if I keep them at a distance, some
> incoming fire (which they should survive with a 4 damage capacity) will
> silence their guns all too quickly. But then, if I move into range to use
> the hull guns and avoid some of the penalties for BM's, I put them right
> into harm's way from assault (their assault values are quite poor, yes?)
>
> Anyway, in closing, a simple question -
> Are the Engines of Vaul, despite being way-cool models, Tragically
> Flawed(tm)?? :)
>
> Do any Eldar players out there have any sucess stories with these units??
>
> Thanks for enduring yet-another-rant...
> Larry

  In my group, blast marker effects only come off of weapons in range of
something. However, we also play that war engines are a little tougher than
most and so 3 BM's are required to silence a SHW. If you have a FP based weapon
in range you can still soak up BM's with these.
Example: 1 warlord with 2 heavy weapon batteries (total FP 16), and 2 death
rays would require 22 BM's to completly shut down. 3BM's for each DR, and 16
for the HWB.
Does this seem extreme, maybe? Does one Imperial Guard stand with a lasrifle
shutting down a Defense Cannon seem extreme, definately.

anvil
going to Florida for the weekend