Re: [Epic] Chaos Marine Air Defense & Artillery (E40K)

From: Scott Shupe <shupe_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 20:11:37 -0400

Don Perrin wrote:

> >> I do notice that Chaos Marine detachments can have Chaos Artillery. Does
> >>this
> >> make the detachment, and hence the army, non-Marine?
>
> As far as I can tell, as long as all the detachments are Chaos Space Marine
> Detachments, you qualify for 5 Strategy Rating. I notice that the Chaos
> fliers are both listed under the Chaos Space Marine vehicles, so at least
> in my army, I intend to have Chaos Space Marine Detachments with artillery,
> and a bunch of fighters.

        The flyer detachment is not a Chaos Space Marine detachment,
so if you take flyers you lose the 5 strategy rating. A pure CSM
army would be composed of nothing but Chaos Space Marine, Chaos
Marine Armor, and Supreme Commander (Warmaster, no Daemon Prince)
detachments.

        Taking daemon engines (like the Chaos Arty) in support of
these detachments seems to be OK as far as the rating goes; personally
I don't agree with that but otherwise the army would have some
severe weaknesses as you've pointed out. An alternative is to give
the army access to Vindicators, Whirlwinds, and possibly Land Speeders
and Thunderhawks - for my ideas about implementing this, see the
"Horus Heresy equipment" section of this page:

http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes/EPIC/E40K/post.chaos_revisions.html

Scott
shupes_at_...