[Epic] Battle report.

From: WolfSamurai <bushkids_at_...>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:52:54 -0600

>This is a battle report of a 2500 point fight between Aaron and Myself on
Wed.
>Night. It was played on a 6� X 4� table. I�ll explain some of my tactics; I
>won�t explain Aaron�s motives, but he may give them himself.

If I can get it to the list I'll remark on my motives.

 We played with
>one house rule; you could not lose more morale to BM�s in a turn than the
>actual
>morale of the unit. This did play a factor several times, but it made the
game
>better.
>
>Spirit Blades:
>Battleaxe - Pod Deployed
> 1 Librarian
> 3 Assault Squads
>Yojimbo
> Captain in Rhino
> Librarian in Rhino
> 3 Tac Squad in Rhinos
>Claymore - Pod Deployed
> Librarian, Captain
> 8 Tac Squads
>Nodachi
> 9 LR�s
> 3 Whirlwinds
>Longbow
> Capatin in LR
> 2 Termies in LR�s
>Naginata
> 2 Mauraders
> 3 Tbolts
>Reaver (CC weapon, Hvy Weapon Battery, Death Ray)
>Warlord (2 Hvy Weapon Batteries, Death Ray, Mega-Cannon)
>
>Bugs:
>Termagant Swarm - Mycetic
> 30 Termagants
> 2 Hive Tyrants
> 3 TW�s
>Genestealer Assault (two of these, 1 and 2) - Mycetic
> 12 Genestealers
> 10 Termagants
> 2 HT�s
> 3 TW�s
>Biovore Brood (two of these, 1 and 2)
> 4 Assault Spawn
> 5 Biovore
> 2 TW
> 1 HT
>Artillery Brood
> 3 Exocrine
> 6 Dactylis
> 3 Biovore
> 1 HT
> 3 TW�s
>Flying Brood
> 1 Harridan
> 5 Gargoyles
>
>Tyrannids: 54 morale
>Space Marines: 57 Morale
>A meeting engaement was played. SM took 4 objectives: 3 T&H and a Rescue.
They
>are marked on the map
>
>Turn 1
>SM move forward slowly
>Biovore 1 Takes up position to gaurd 2 objectives, and to lay BMs on good
>Genestealer food. Biovore 2 marches to lay flanking fire on Titans. Dom moves
>with the biovores, hoping titans will turn toward the other side of the board
>so
>she can shoot at their backs.
>Artillery moves to support either side of battle field.
>
>No effective shooting this turn
>
>Turn 2 Bug 54 - SM 57
>SM continue to slowly advance. Claymore pods in behind the biovore, and kills
>the whole unit except a HT who made 2 or 3 saves. This HT was a thorn in
the SM

>side for the whole game.
>
>Dom moves to avenge the biovore. Klls several marines from firing. Artillery
>kill several more, leaving the captain who save more than he would have
like to

>face the dom almost unsupported The Dom eats him.
>
>Termagants choose the Longbow unit as their first test. The suffer some shoot
>casualties from the Whirlwinds and Longbow, but it just pisses them off.
Their
>assault is repulsed but they kill a termie, a captain and 3 LRs for the
loss of

>6 termagants. I like this unit. May kick it up to 40 termagants next time.
>
>Biovore 1 places ineffective fire on Yojimbo, only a few blastmarkers.
>
>Warlord and Reaver inflict many casualties on the Artillery detat.
>
>Turn 3 Bug 43 - SM 50
>Naginata arrives, is intercepted by bug flyers. 1 marauder is damaged, but
>harridan and a gargoyle are killed. The continue to the artillery detat,
where
>1
>more is shot down by ground fire. A few more units are lost in the artillery
>detat.
>
>Hodachi and yojimbo move towards the T&H objective at the crossroads,
joined by

>the remaining termie from Longbow. Genestealer units both pod in on either
side

>of the lot of them. Artillery put a few hits on them, as do the biovores. The
>assault comes out to be a +3 or 4 for the bugs, who wipe out yojimbo and all
>but
>3 LR�s from Nodachi. Temire tries to run, but gets caught by the fleeing
>termagants.
>
>The Termagants move to chase the reaver. They are again repulsed, but
inflict 2

>wounds. Have a lot of BM�s now though.
>
>The warlord and reaver kill much of the artillery in the shooting phase. The
>Warlord firefights the artillery detat, breaking the unit.
>
>The Dom and HT continue to chase Claymore, killing several more and breaking
>them again. This time they don�t rally, and end up on the corner of the
board.

>Turn 4 Bugs 19, SM 19
>The biovore, termagants, and genestealers move to finish off the titans and
>Nodachi LR�s. Several BMs are placed on the titans during shooting. The
Titans
> [...]
>
>My biggest failure was to adequately surround my opponents in CC; I always
>forget to position my troops to catch retreating units. The dom did not help
>much; she chased an inferior unit the whole game; on the other hand, she did
>not
>get shut down by BM�s or die this game, which is refreshing. I think the
>"Breathes fire" attack should be replaced with a "6 fp" ability; you can shut
>down a Dom with 3 or 5 blast markers, depending on your interpretation of "3X
>anti tank", and really making the points for the dom seem high. I may try to
>get
>my opponents to let me do that in subsequent games. It also coincides with
the
>defense spore pods for SM/TL better than the Breathes fire ability.
>
>I think Aaron should have ditched the flyers to beef up the assault squad,
>Battleaxe. I�ve tried assault squads with 8 to 10 units before, and they
almost

>never work well. Against a good sized detat, the extra support from
non-engaged

>enemy units overcomes the high CC of the assault squads. Also, a few
casualties

>reduces it�s assault power to the level of bunnies. I always use at least
5 or
>assault marine squads with librarians and captains (+6 CAF), and often field
>two
>of these to pod in supporting eachother, to get 2 psychers involved. 3 detats
>of
>3 with librarians is also something I�ve thought of fielding, but haven�t
yet.

>The termagants were an awesome sight. It�s a 361 point can lose 4 to 1
against
>marines and still come out ahead. It sucks up a lot of losses and FP which
>could
>be used on more valuable units.
>
>I would have won the game, I think, if the last assault would have rolled
more
>evenly. I would have likely killed the reaver and LRs, giving the bugs enough
>morale to stay above zero. Unfortunately, I wasted a card in the first dom
>assault, forgetting the Supreme Commander ability. To add insult to injury,
>Aaron Foiled that card anyways.
>
>The Bug Flyer detat was really inefficient. I think you need at least 10
>gargoyles to make them worthwhile as interceptors. I need to find the
rules for

>gargoyles as infantry.
>
>In retrospect, I miscalculated and had 150 points more than I thought. Sorry,
>Aaron. Actually, be grateful; I would have dropped the Dom and fielded
another
>assault brood.
>
>It was a really good game, and I can�t wait to play him again.
>
>Thane
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Aaron BR1.bmp"
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Aaron BR2.bmp"

Aaron Roudabush aka WolfSamurai

The Master of the Spirit Blades Space Marine Chapter
Epic 40,000 Commander of Task Force Grey Wolf
Wood Elf, High Elf, and Dwarven General
Writer, Editor, and PR Representative for Resonator Software

"Only in the Fires of Hell can the Swords of Heaven be forged."