[Epic] Re: [EPIC]The Challenge

From: David Atherton Smith <roadrunnersmith_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 20:29:04 -0800

oki_at_... wrote:
(snip)
> >Here is something to think about while you're brooding with your
> >complaints burning inside: who bought the game, who plays the game - you,
> >that's who. Nobody makes you play the game, nobody made you buy the game.
> >What you can do is change the game to suit your need, desires and liking.
> >

> I agree with that entirely and I think a lot of the list members also agree
> with this line, but in the same breath, I believe a fair number of the list
> members think that we deserve better treatment than what GW has been dishing
> out. Hence our gripes.
>
> >I hope that the future of games and mailing lists like these are soon
> >exploited by those with creative ideas and suggestions. Games need
> >creativity to survive. Players provide that creativity.
> >

> Not the game publisher themselves ;)?

No I don't belive game publishers are resposible for making use, the
gamers, happy in any way. They produce a product that they for the most
part, like. We as the consumer but that product on our own free will.
Obviosly most people like the products because GW is still in business.

As for games needing game publishers to survive that is not necsisarly
true. Me and my friends have come up with many of our own games and
gaming ideas on our own, even whole new rules to games like 40k and Epic.
 The game had to start somewhere - it didn't start being published from
square one. We have all seen what happen to games that try to do this (ie
any game company that folded on their first try).

What we should do it take gaming back to the players, where it started
and where it should stay. After all, what is a game without a player?

Thanks for reading my letter and responding in a humane fashion :)

-Chris