Re: [Epic] Campaign Rules

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 00:13:04 -0500

On 4 Mar 97 at 20:36, Johnnemann Nordhagen wrote:

> Well, my original thoughts for this campaign system were:
>
> 1. It would be a lot like Epic, with objectives and VPs. So, you would
> have a planet, worth 5 VPs (or something), as objective 3. Your fleets
> would manouver to attack the planet, the defending side could use
> whatever ships it had there to defend. after the space battle was over,
> the troops whose ships hadn't been destoyed in space could land and
> fight it out with the troops kept to defend. This game would require
> large armies, to fulfill the roles of defense and offense simultaniously
> (sp?). However, this would add a new strategic dimension (do I take
> most of my troops from here to make a suprise attack on his home planet,
> or would that leave me open to attack?) Also, it would change the Full
> Thrust aspect quite a bit, as the primary targets would be the troop
> carriers rather than the big fighters.
>
> 2. Supply and manufacture rules. I liked what i saw in the other rules
> posted about supply lines and manufacturing. I'm not sure how this would
> work, but i'd like to incorporate them in as well.
>
> 3. Money. Some form of resource that would allow you to replenish your
> armies and would reward you for conquering planets Something like taxes,
> (you receive 100 credits per turn for each planet you have) or a fixed
> sum (you have 10000 credits, you only get 10000 credits, so spend it
> wisely).
>
> Please respond to this with any ideas or suggestions you might have. I
> don't actually know whether I can write rules like this, but I'd thought
> I'd see how people react. thanks,
>
> --
> Johnnemann Nordhagen (jsnord_at_...)

You know, it's true. Great minds DO think alike. As I have stated
before, I am working on a campaign system for Silent Death, which I am
also trying to keep compatible with a ground combat game which I have
heard will be coming out, which I hope will be of EPIC scale, but set
in the Silent Death world. However, due to the ship construction
system for Silent Death, many other worlds can be simulated using its
system. I have seen rules posted for X-wings and TIE fighters.
Considering that no (in-print) game exists that covers space combat in
the Dark Future Where There Is Only War (tm) :), anyone could play
fast and loose with the exact composition of the various forces.
Obviously I am biased to Silent Death. It is a simple yet
extraordinarily flexible system that simulates fighter combat rather
well. I will admit, however, that its strength is NOT is dealing with
capital ships. The biggest ships that currently exist as models are
destroyer-type ships (called Warhound or escort class). Carriers do
exist in the Silent Death world, but no official rules currently exist
(although I do have some, if anyone is interested). So, if capital
ship combat would be the focus of this campaign, Silent Death wold not
be the way to go.

The point of this rather extended paragraph is that, once a significant
part of my campaign system is done, I would like to see it tested.
Seeing as how it should be compatible with the transportation needs of
an EPIC campaign, I could provide it for playtesting with EPIC ground
troops. Currently only a VERY rough draft exists, but I could provide that
to anyone who is interested. Combining EPIC and Silent Death sounds
like a cool idea (two of my favorite games :] ) Even if you guys
decide to use a different system, I would appreciate descriptions of
the ships that you create, so I can convert them to Silent Death. Does
anyone out there have a copy of GW's space game (whatever it was
called)? What kinds of ships did it use (not that we're bound by GW,
of course)

Cool idea, Johnnemann. You have given me all sorts of fun thoughts.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf