Re: [Epic] Re: OT Fantasy wargaming

From: Brian Thomas <bthom37_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:37:41 -0500

At 11:09 16.09.98 PDT, you wrote:
>Thane Morgan wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>I think that formation became obsolete with the increasing power of
>missile
>>weapons. The size of shield required for a proper shield wall was
>unweildy,
>>and javelins were designed to pull the shields down once they were
>stuck in.
>>I have though of making full length shields available, but since no
>fantasy
>>miniatures have them anyway, I ditched the idea. Of course, the system
>>should work fine for historicals, just by droping teh magic rules and
>>reducing the unit points to account for the irrlevevance of magic
>>resistance.
>
>I don't think that missile fire contributed to the decline of the
>testudo. Increased power and a large use of missle weapons didn't
>appear until the middle ages. The battle of Hastings is one of the
>first recorded and scholars are not agreed on just how effective the
>bows were.

If you want to read some interesting stuff on the Battle of Hastings,
search on Yahoo for it. In the archives of mediev-l, you can find a couple
of professors duking it out (in a scholarly manner) over the Battle of
Hastings.
I used to subscribe to it, until I realized it was generating 200+ messages
a day. _Very_ interesting stuff.

                                                Brian