Re: [Epic] Kursk

From: Brian Thomas <bthom37_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:23:26 -0500

At 00:29 23.09.98 -0500, you wrote:
> For whoever asked, here are the short #'s for Kursk:
>
>-Took place from July 5- 16 1943
>
>-Forces: Russians - One tank armyand 5 combined arms armies including 20,000
>guns, 3600 tanks, and 2400 aircraft. Total of 1,300,000 Russians. Marshal
>Zhukov in charge.
> Germans - 17 Panzer and 21 Infantry divisions for 10,000 guns,
>2700 tanks, 2000 aircraft. Total of 900,000 Germans. FM von Kluge in charge
>of most of it.
>
>Casualties: about 120,000 Russians, about 100,000 Germans and 980 tanks
>

>Strategic defeat for the Germans - too many tanks and men ost, failed to
>pinch of a "bulge" of Russians. The Reds knew they were coming (spies) and
>spent all their time getting ready. Eight successive lines of defense with
>extensive mine belts and AT guns. Rain slowed down the vehicles as well,
>helping the defense. Ther germans actually made it to the eighth line in
>some places, but a final big tank battle ended in a draw, and the Germans
>had to pull back. Notable for the first combat appearance of the Panther,
>which suffered major mechanical difficulties, and the first 90 King Tigers,
>which were immune to almost all of the Russian AT fire. Unfortunately they
>didn't have enough machine guns so the infantry started hiding until they
>rolled by, at which time they would pop out and take them from behind or the
>sides, where the grunts were safe. These early K-T's were converted to
>Elefants for the remainder of the war, and another design went ahead as the
>more commonly seen King Tiger
>
>So...we would need a battle with some rules for mechanical breakdown if you
>really want to capture the flavor here. Also mines, trenches, and a definite
>"attacker" and "defender".
>
>Have to think about this a bit more. Post some rough idea for a
>mini-campaign by the weekend.
>
>Chris Miller

What actual ratio of Panthers broke down? Is it known? Conceivably, you
could, every turn, or perhaps just at the beginning of the battle, roll a
d6. On a 1, that tank is done for. Harsh, but effective.

Mines and Trenches are on the E41K site. As for attacker vs. defender, I'd
borrow a page from WHFB siege, and give the attacker 2x(for Imp. Guard), or
1.5x(for an army heavy on AT/DR) points, with the defender having lots of
armor bonuses from cover.

                                                Brian