Re: [Epic] Will it won't it and stuff

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 00:27:33 +1000

Sauron1 wrote:

> Sauron1 writes;Greg Lane;
>
> I have a
> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG reach!
>
> I have was researching in the records of the Australian Military Academy
> last night.

"Tread Softly, for you tread on my .sig"

The cs bit is for Computer Science. It's Australian Defence Force
Academy (ADFA) anyway :) The cognoscenti will recognise that the .oz
extension means it's been a site since before the Internet, before
ARPAnet, when it was still the DEFENCE Advanced Research Project Agency
Net. The teaching I do there 2 days a week keeps me relatively sane, the
rest of the time it's y2k remediation at the Defence complex at Campbell
Park.

Tedious, yes. But I expect to have "Wealth beyond the dreams of
avarice" offered to me this time next year. C, C++, Y2K remediation on
embedded systems, Crouch-Echlin effect (look THAT one up for a scare!)
etc.

On y2k matters, may I draw US readers attention to:
http://www.csis.org/html/y2ktran2.html#simpson

The US Railway system has me somewhat concerned. :( in a big way.

On matters Epic, I've just been looking through FIREPOWER. Several
things struck me (in order)

1. The price. $16 Oz, $8 US, L5 UK. Cheap!
2. The production quality. Glorious black-and-white, even the WD
articles that were in colour are now greyscale. Frankly, I've seen
better quality in pirate software manuals from Bangkok. Cheap! again.
3. The lack of proofreading. Repeated text.
4. Adverts for Mail Order. Good ones, even for egg-crate Warlords.
5. "Chapter Approved" sticker, everything in it is Canonical. So Squats
and Knights are now OFFICIALLY BACK IN.
6. Calls for contribs, but the copyright provisions are odious, the
authors giving up all "moral rights" (under UK law) to their work, so it
can be labelled someone else's, changed etc. This is NOT in fine print,
they make a point of being up-front about it.

Oh yes, the missiles on the Ordinatus are now Deatstrikes (D6 AT shots)
not Vortex Missiles (TITANS ONLY!!) (D6 Death Ray shots).

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo