Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:33:43 GMT

At 12:08 PM 6/3/97 -0800, you (Howard) wrote:
>I never posted because I don't own the rules, and didn't want to make
>uninformed opinions sound like they were set in stone. But since it's
>sheer numbers you want, here goes:

Well, I really wanted folks to think it as well... Judging from what I read
below you did, so cool!

>If GW had meant to say that attackers are pinned at the base, and can't
>reach the feet, then they would have said so in so many words. If they
>wanted an exception wherein attackers could move to the feet if the Titan
>was pinned, then they would have stated that exception clearly and
>succinctly. In fact, the idea would have been weird enough that they would
>have gone to pains to restate it clearly. (GW leaves loopholes in its rules
>by using vague wording, but they do try to clear up anything that might be
>hard to understand.

You seem to have a lot more faith in GW's rule writing ability than anyone
else who has posted to the list...

>Witness the perennial diagrams illustrating squad coherency)

And even with the perenial diagrams, we had a bunch of folks who didn't know
about squad coherency last week...

>Instead, they phrased it in such a way that I interpreted it to mean:
>
>1. To limit the number of attackers that can engage a Titan in
>hand-to-hand, attackers must touch the Titan's feet, not just its base.
>
>2. In a separate situation, if the Princeps thinks that he and his Titan
>can take on a bunch of smaller guys, he can sweep forward and opt to use
>his base to pin and engage a large number of foes.
>
>3. Jetbikes, jump pack troops, etc. are more mobile, and less easily
>pinned, so they can still use the base when they charge.
>

>Howard

Yep, it could be interpreted to mean that. (Certainly most people do
interpret it that way...) BUT, the rules could also be interpreted to state
that a model is pinned (must stop moving) THE MOMENT IT TOUCHES AN ENEMY
MODEL and that in order to CC a titan you MUST CONTACT THE FEET.

Agro