Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:55:07 GMT

>> So, you would agree to my interpretation that if the base is part of the
>> "model" (the correct quote should be "enemy") non skimmers etc would be
>> stopped at the base?
>
>IF the base is part of the model then I would agree that this would
>be a literal interpration of the close combat rules. BUT (see below)....

You'd be surprised how few on this list ae prepared to concede even that much!!!

>> >The case of skimmers and jump troops is an exception, in that they
>> >can close combat the titan without needing to touch the model.
>>

>> It doesn't say that they are an exception to the CC rules, only that they
>> are an exception to the "you must contact the titan's leg" rule. (ie
>> nowhere does it suggest that they can CC a model without being in contact
>> with the model, in fact it states the exact oposite - they must be in
>> contact with the base in order to CC the titan)
>
>O.K. Here's the Crunch:
>I'm basing my arguement on Titan close combat as a whole being an
Exception to
>the normal rules of engagement. Hence the reason they included
>paragraphs such as the one quoted above.
>This being the case then it is not necessarilly valid to quote the
>general H-t-H combat rules for the specific case of titans.
>By this token I feel that my arguement for the Base not being part of
>the Model still Holds. Since your only real objection( as I see it )
>was, in regard to skimmers,
> "nowhere does it suggest that they can CC a model without being in
> contact with the model, in fact it states the exact oposite - they must be
> in contact with the base in order to CC the titan) ".
>where this quote was in regard to the general close combat rules.
>What I'm saying is that in the specific case of Titans, they can CC a
>model withiout being in contact with the model, in this specific case
>it is only neccessary for them to be in contact with the base.
>
>I realise that this is a bit watery but thats the way I see it.
>I eagerly await your comments,
>
>Colin P

Well, the whole business of interpreting the EPIC rules is "a bit watery"
IMO. We will never be 100% certain unless GW comes to the party and they
stopped caring about the time that sales started to fall...

However, for whatever it's worth:

The premise of the entire section on "Titans and Gargants in CC" being an
"exception to the normal CC rules" is the basis of a number of folks
argument against the "literal interpretation" I have suggested.

You (collective) COULD be right, but it certainly seems a bit weak to say
"yeah that's what it says, but it's just stating an exception so it doesn't
mean anything".

I believe in the premise that the simplest solution is the most likely to be
correct. This being the case, I assume that the only exceptions to the
normal CC rules are explicitly stated, and are 1) to CC a titan, units which
can be pinned by the titan must engage the titan's feet. 2) Unlike all
other units, titan's have the option of fighting a CC with models in contact
with their base, rather than the norm which is that any other unit MUST
fight the CC. Nothing else in the section constitutes an exception to the
normal rules.

Thus, according to the rules, the only way that a non skimmer etc could move
past the base of an enemy titan would be if the titan was "pinned". And
thus the only way a non skimmer etc could engage the titan is if the titan
chooses to fight the CC.

But...

It is quite obvious that no matter what the rules may or may not imply, the
status quo (of the pre TL interpretation) will hold force with the majority
of EPIC gamers.

Agro