Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 00:11:27 +0000

Farley, James wrote:
> >>On the first, what is charge speed? If you mean assault, then yes - but
> >>isn't firing at 1/2 firepower? If you mean marching (the quickest way
> >>to move) then they cannot shoot.
> >
> >Assault speed. The firepower is half, but there are ways around that with
> >some weapons.

Like what?

> >>On the second, can units fire if they are broken and forced back? I
> >>don't _think_ they can. if they are retreating as a normal move, why
> >>shouldn't they shoot?
> >
> >I was talking about just falling back as the other guy advances to try to get
> >into range. With a tempest (they have some new name for it now) you can move
> >back, pop up, destroy, etc. etc. etc. until the enemy is just shot to shit.

Yes, and that it called battlefield tactics. If the other guy is going
to keep coming at me, I'll keep shooting at him.
"Hey sarge, why are those guys running straight towards our machine
guns?"
"Coz their general's not very bright son. Now keep shooting."

> >>On the third, when would it be _more_ appropriate for a pop-up attack
> >>than when the unit has overwatch orders?
> >
> >Maybe, but the old system FF just gave you the fist shot AND you could not
> >move. Overwatch gives you much more firepower OR you can move but have less
> >firepower. (or move twice normal speed and have even less firepower)

Not sure I'm with you. You don't get more firepower on overwatch - you
just get a chance to reroll your misses.

> >>with the new mixed detachments the Eldars pop-up abilities are unlikely
> >>to make them too gross. And if GW have done their job right, they'll be
> >>paying more for troops with this ability than the equiv Imperial troops
> >>without it.
> >
> >You don't have to run them mixed. (the super heavies can't run mixed). Will
> >it make them too gross? Well at least in the old system once you got close,
> >they had to miss a turn of shooting to move back out of your range again.

I'm going to put myself in the "wait and see" camp here. The two big
gripes I had with epic 40k have already proved to be my misreading the
rules on the first, and a useful mechanism to balance the game on the
second.

Richard