Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics vs. Tyranids

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 19:32:41 -0700

>> (which now always have warp fields up in my games anyways). It would
>> probably be good to note at this point that we use an alternating movement
>> system.

> Well, that changes matters somewhat...

Most definately. Still though, I heartily recommend it to anyone sticking
with the current version of Epic, as this current Eldar suck if they lose
initiative, rule if they win stuff just doesn't cut it.

>> Does anyone else feel that this seems vaguely wrong? (not incorrect, wrong)
>> That Dom is just too good for its points, with a substantial portion of
>> the strength of the Tyranid army resting in one measily unit. They
>> shouldn't have to limit a unit to only one per a certain number of points
>> to keep it from unbalancing the game.

> I'm just glad GW actually had the forsight to limit them...
>Yeah, they are too much for their points but I tend to think that's
>true of a lot of the Tyranid stuff.

Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I looked at the Tyranid army
list. However, after seeing them off of paper, the only units I'm really
impressed by are the Dom and Carnies.

> Y'know it just dawned on me the reason you have so much
>firepower to destroy the Doms is because it can't use terrain to
>protect itself from any of your guns (thanks to pop-ups). It's
>been too damn long since I've played against Eldar.

I love it. :)

> It seems to me the bug player really hasn't been exploring
>his options. Like maybe, more screeners.

Yeah, though now that he uses warp fields continuously, there's no real
need. That Dom isn't gonna die again anytime soon. I've only killed one
twice when its warp field was up, both times by inflicting 50+ wounds to
the thing in CC with overwhelming force. (both times the poor thing was
out on a limb by itself with no support. bad mistake)

>Or presenting more dangerous targets (bio-titans with pyro-acid spray).

I'm not too impressed by those bio-titans. I focus firepower on them for a
turn, by concentrating on their weakly armoured legs, knock off two legs of
each titan, and then come back later and mop them up at my leisure.

>Or shooty titans on FF to get rid of your non-titan firepower.

In my experience even a shooty Tyranid titan isn't especially shooty when
against the Eldar. Too many powerful shots.

>Maybe he's not burning through his cards fast enough? (because they can be a
>big help)

Most definately. I keep telling him to use 'em or lose 'em, but he still
has the nasty habit of holding on to them for that perfect moment that
never comes.

>Scott
>shupes_at_...

Michael the Liu