Re: [Epic] Things I miss in E40K

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:59:46 -0500

At 04:47 PM 4/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

> Let me explain the above.
> Long range firepower, with Jump Pack and Cavalry troops getting an
>effective 5x move when on assault orders, double in the move phase and
>triple in the assault phase, many troop types can move entirely through
>a defending units fire range in the assault phase alone! True, LR fire
>is indespensible when countering opposing vehicles.

1) Only troops moving 15cm can move entirely through an opponents range.
those moving 10 cm must be within 30 in order to make it to cc range. The
only ones with 15cm move that I can think of off hand are the aspect
warriors. 2) Long range fire can suppress an enemy to the point where he
can't move into cc range, especially if it is a large detachment, as it will
be easier to spot the models. 3) Check the LoS rules for forests. Now you
can see into and out of woods, just not completely through them. This
translates into fewer places to hide. 4) true, little, fast cc detachments
are hard to get, but when they do get into cc you have much more supporting
fire than he does, so it should even out. 5) You can continue to suppress
the enemy even after your own units are suppressed.

> I just can't see how shifting the emphasis from ranged combat to close
>combat adds so much to the game.

As opposed to SM 2nd ed, where infantry routinely stormed titans, and a unit
of bloodletters could wipe a 10 man detachment out with little to no effort?

Temp