Re: [Epic] [E40k]Formations and Tactics

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:46:22 -0700

The following comes from an Adeptus Astartes Battle Manual of the Horus
Era (ie E30K or just before).

Standard AA Mechanised Platoon.

Consists of:
5 Agricultural Tractors (Heavy) (Militarised) Type II "Land Raider"
(Note : The original has written into the margin a change: " Type I may
not be used, except as additional Fire support. A new Type III is
expected to be produced in future")
(Note again : The original Type I is illustrated in 'Rogue Trader', and
is incapable of transporting troops. Type II is the Old Epic LR. Type
III is the E40K LR)

HQ Section (Platoon Lt, Sgt, Comms, 2 Scouts)
4 Sticks of Marines (4 Grenadiers, 1 Heavy Weapons)

Stage One : ADVANCE TO CONTACT

Platoon advances in column in MARCH mode until the Forming up point,
with a spacing of (8cm) (Note: all distances converted to E40K scale).

Formation:
1 with A Stick
2 with B Stick
3 with C Stick
4 with D Stick
5 with HQ

Stage Two : FORMING UP

Vehicles alternate moving to left and right in ASSAULT mode, in the
standard Herringbone deployment. Troops dismount and deploy (8cm) in
front vehicles. Thus the final deployment is:

A C H D B
1 3 5 4 2

with an (8cm) spacing between elements (units).

Forming up point is (110cm) in front of objective.

Stage Three : MARCH TO START LINE

This is accomplished in ASSAULT mode, with a required rate of advance of
(20cm) per (Turn).

Start Line is (50cm) in front of Objective.

Stage Four : ADVANCE TO FIRE LINE

This is accomplished in NORMAL mode, with a rate of advance of (10cm)
per (turn).

Fire Line is (30cm) in front of Objective.

Stage Five : ADVANCE TO ASSAULT LINE

This is accomplished in OVERWATCH mode with a rate of advance of (5cm)
per (turn)

Assault Line is (15cm) away from Objective.

Stage Six : ASSAULT

All Troops are to Advance in ASSAULT mode to Contact.

Any resemblance between this and current doctrine of any nationality is
not coincidental.
The above should be quite an effective battle drill for Chaos Marines,
and with a little Fiddling ( 6-Unit instead of 5-unit Squads ) SMs.

Note that if you start closer than 110cm from the objective, just deploy
your troops as if they'd executed the above at 110cm and moved up a few
turns.

aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
| Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
| Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture