Re: [Epic] Army composition, battle report

From: James Payne <paynej_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:14:35 EST

> 1. The army composition - many detachments vs one gigantic horde.
> What do you choose and why ? And your army values.

I tried the "gigantic horde" strategy my first game, and got hurt for
it. My second game, I broke up my horde, putting units with similar
speeds together. This gave me the ability to move my units up to
their full potential speed without worrying about being out of
command. This is all fairly basic and obvious, but I can't stress
how much of an affect it had on my flexibility.

> 2. The battle report.
> Sure to be instructive and fun.
> "Then I send my whole Ravenwing detachment - of 15 landspeeders -
> to his rear flank, going in for the kill."
> "Upon which he burst out laughing...."

I've got a game tomorrow night (2150 pts, Ork vs. SM/IG). I'll try
to post a short report of how it went.

> 3. Any strategic insight for each army - esp. SM, yea.
> "For every 3 additional Land Raiders you take in a single detachment,
> your chances to win goes up by 3.5 percent :)

OK...here's how I eliminate those pesky fliers. Psykers! If each
detachment has a psyker, you can effectively have a 30cm shot at any
flier that comes in for a run on your troops without having to go to
special orders to use AAA. Sure, you burn up fate
cards, but so what? The card says you can use it at any point, and my
opponents tend to very carefully try to stay just outside of that
10cm snapfire range, but totally forget about the wierdboyz...I
supose that won't remain the case for long though. This isn't so
effective against squads of fighters, but try it against a
thunderhawk trying to deliver troops :).

This is from an Orky point-of-view, but the counter strategy for SM
players would be to make sure that the T-hawk you send in with your
detachment commander also has a psyker on board to counter my
psykers, or you just stay out of their range.

> 4. Anything else pertaining to the game.

I gotta say I really think the tacitics in this game are better. In
SM/TL I never seemed to see all that much benefit from flanking an
opponent. Now, however, flanking seems to work MUCH better. I can't
put my finger on why, but it sure swept up my first opponents units
when I tried it. Flanking also now means that you can "herd" the
opposition into unfavorable terrain by assaulting from two sides at
once...he has to retreat until he's 15cm away from all of your units.

Just some thoughts.

James Payne
paynej_at_...
or