Re: [Epic] Things I miss in E40K

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 22:31:41 -0500

At 04:25 PM 4/16/97 -0500, you wrote:

> I just faced this type of force, and was rather unimpressed.
> His force had 6 x Whirlwinds, 3 x Landraiders, 2 x Razorbacks and
>2 x Predator. I was playing chaos and watched 3 x Flamer demons break
>it in CC.

Sounds like a lousy detachment. He needed to concentrate on artillery or
drop it. Apparently he was going for maneuverability and direct fire also.
That's too many functions for a unit to be good at any one of them.

>Why? Because he was shooting at the Chaos Marines 30cm in
>front of him and not watching the Demons behind the Marines.

Well now, that was a tactical error on his part, and not a function of
whether the detachment would be effective if used as I stated.

> This could be considered a 'TACTIC" if it weren't for being so bogus.

I just asked if anyone had tried it. I wasn't defending it as an effective
tactic. Besides, it sounds like your friend screwed it up.

>Any unit with a chance to move up to 75cm in a single turn and then be
>so overwhelming in CC, makes the choice simple.

1) They can only move 30cm + 45cm if they can enter hth. Otherwise they are
restricted to 30+30, so first turn they only get 60cm.
2) You get a firing phase half way through their move, and they must be
within 45 cm in order for them to be able to hit you. Therefore, you get a
fourth chance to suppress them. (That's prep bombardment 1st turn; fire
phase 1st turn; prep bombardment 2nd turn; and fire phase 2nd turn). If I'm
not mistaken, they have to roll morale to move each time. The chances of
them failing at least one roll should be pretty good.

Temp