Re: [Epic][E40k] Eldar Support ideas

From: Jeff Schmidt <jschmidt_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:34:01 -0500

>On another subject In my game today I wanted to have an eldar support
>detachment. I tried 5 reapers, 2 night spinners, 2 warwalkers, and 6
>support platforms. Completely unsiuted to my style of play. I'm used to
>having my aspects w/ exarchs on his half of the field assualting things and
>breaking them, Thier support is provided for by titans and engines of vaul.
>Now I had this support detachment that was out of range for all except the
>last couple of turns. Now, my tactics work pretty well, against imperial
>units. Against tyrannids I'm sure I'd rather take a ton of those support
>deatchments than any other aspects. I need good Ideas for a close support
>detachment. I know I want war walkers, and dreadnought but I do not know
>how to get them, they are support only. I'm thinking I'll take gaurdians
>just 5 stands and make one of them command, or a farseer I'm not sure.
>Anybody else have any ideas? I need some heavy fire support for those
>aspects pounding into his center, I give a hurtin' but I take one as well.

I was thinking along _very_ similar lines for a game I'm playing tomorrow.
It will be all of our first times playing, marines vs. Eldar. We've sort
of collaberated on forces and will probably have time to switch sides and
try a second game with the same forces (I'll even try to remember and
record enough bits to post a battle report).

Basically, my Eldar support det is
        5x Guardians (1 stand each)
        3x Night Spinners
        1x Fire Prism (HQ unit)
        1x Support Platforms (3 units)
all for 268 points.

I need to to go fairly cheap to accomodate the other dets I wanted to try,
otherwise I might have gone with Dark Reapers too.

If you want long range direct fire support, I'd go with Dark Reapers
supported by Dreadnaughts. You get decent FP (20) at good range (45cm),
and if you have the extra 5 points, make all your reapers assault. Then in
a pinch you have a pretty good close assault detachment too. Mix in Night
Spinners, command, and possibly Wave Serpents to taste (although you lose
some close assault flexibility there with spinners). Otherwise, since the
spinners have such a long range, you may be better off creating two layers
of support -- a reaper/dread direct fire support det and a long range
'arty' det of mainly Guardians and Night Spinners. Suppose it depends on
how many points we're talking...

Just my US$.02 (deflated to US$.01 since I actually have yet to play a game).

Jeff Schmidt | NetCo Communications Corporation
software engineer, Mac development | 333 N. Washington Ave. Ste. 102
(612) 519-0878 | Minneapolis MN 55401, USA