[Epic] Imperial Guard Motor Rifle Tank Battalion, some rants

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 20:30:31 -0500

Ok, enough number crunching, lets get back to the Imperial Guard Motor
Rifle project.

As you may recall, I still have the command company of the regiment,
plus the tank battalion to do. I will do the easy one first, that is to
say the tank battalion.

Battalion HQ Section
(use "Supreme Commander" list)
Imperial Guard Colonel
        Upgrade to Leman Russ 66pts
Bodyguard
2 Imperial Guard Squad 28pts
2 Chimera 28pts

Total cost 122pts

3 companies "Detachment" each
(Imperial Guard Tank Detachment list)
HQ Section 25pts
1 Leman Russ Tank 32pts
3 platoons each
3 Leman Russ Tanks 96pts

Company Total: 345pts
Battalion Total: 1157pts

Each company is 10 tanks, the Battalion as a whole is 31 tanks.

Notes: This make the battalion a little more "command responsive" than
the real unit appears to be, at least based on what was seen of Warsaw
Pact wargames in the 1980's. If you are one of the people that likes
the idea of the Soviets/Imperial Guard being a large unwieldy force
best used as a sledge hammer against the foes of the state/Empire (does
this sound like some fluff that I have been reading or what) change the
Battalion to as follows.

 Battalion HQ Section
(use "Supreme Commander" list)
Imperial Guard Colonel
        Upgrade to Leman Russ 66pts
Bodyguard
2 Imperial Guard Squad 28pts
2 Chimera 28pts

Total cost 122pts

Battalion
HQ Section 25pts
10 Squadrons each 3 Leman Russ 960pts

Battalion Total: 1107pts

Me, I think the extra 50 points for 3 companies is worth it.
General note for modern game gamers out there. Please remember I am
doing a peace time Soviet TO&E here. If I were doing a US Army, BOAR
or German (WWII or modern) TO&E I would make platoons the detachment,
not the company, as I did with the Motor Rifle Company. There is a
reason for this, in that the Red Army really does all armor work in
terms of platoons. Soviet tanks are never seen by them self, they
always move and shoot in groups of 3 (i.e. a platoon). They tend to do
most of their operations in terms of full companies. The fact that a
Soviet tank company was 10 tanks, vs. 17 for a US Army "H Series" TO&E
tended to make this easier for the company commander.

The Regimental Command Section.
After much thought I finally decided that I would ignore the Signal
element and the Air Defense platoon attached to the Regimental command
unit, for several reasons, chief among them being that there are no
rules for either type of unit in Epic 40,000, and just adding in warm
bodies confuses the issue. For the record there are at total of 22
officers and 85 enlisted men in the command element of a Soviet Motor
Rifle Regiment, plus 10 APC of various types, 4 motor bikes, 12 trucks,
6 man pack SAM systems and a GS-12 ground surveillance radar set.
After cutting out all the troops that E40K doesn't have rules for you
are left with a rather boring final "Supreme Commander" detachment.

Regimental Commander
1 Imperial Guard Colonel 40pts
1 Psyker 10pts
1 Chimera 14pts
Body Guard
2 Imperial Guard Squads 28pts
2 Chimera 28pts

Total Cost 120pts

Next up the whole of the regiment, with out rants.