Re: [Epic] [E40k] Knights IV

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> Paul Tobia wrote:
> Sorry if I'm repeating any old arguments, I was off
> on vacation for awhile and was unsubscribed at the time.

        I'll try to summarize...

> > *Note: Knights count as Walkers using the optional rule (p.104 Battle) if
> > your group is so inclined.*
>
> These guys ain't dreadnoughts, they're much larger.
> I always thought the 2ed knight models were roughly to scale
> with the vehicles/titans (unlike GDs and HTs, which were
> based the same as the knights but really about the size of
> a dread).

        I thought that this was decided on so they could deal with
rough terrain better, or I guess I haven't been paying attention to
this part. Does being a walker grant any movement bonuses over rough
terrain? I don't have time to look it up, I have to run off and catch
a plane soon.

> > Latest Rationale:
> >
> > The Lancer went up to 10 points higher than the Paladin to act as a
> > deterrant or there'd be no reason to take Paladins. I think the 10
> > points might be worth the increased move and Close Support. Playtesting
> > will tell.
>
> Shouldn't the Lancers have a lower Assault than
> the paladins? In 2ed they could be nasty at short ranges
> but were piss-poor when it came to close combat (making
> them pretty useless IMHO, but that's besides the point).

        Yeah, I was wondering about this as well, but there's always
time for another draft.

> Personally I would have given the Paladins 1 AT
> shot instead of 2 FP.

        I compared the Paladin shot to a Falcon's. It's definitely
superior to 1/2 a Land Raider.

<rant>
        So why is it that nothing can stand up to equivalent points
values of Land Raiders, no matter which GW game we're playing? Even
without the troop transport capability, they'd still be better than
any other tank I know in any GW game I know. Damn marines have always
had it easy.
</rant>

> Why the high assault value on Errants?

        Paul mentioned the Power fists, and the Thermal Gun, which
contributes to it as well as the 2nd edition CAF.

> What about using Death Rays on the heavy knights;
> the Crusaders did have volcano cannons. Or is that too
> powerful?

        The Battles book says that the Quake Cannon is a Mega-Cannon
in the new rules. Aaron suggested that maybe this was because it
dropped buildings nicely before. So, I made it a Mega-Cannon in my
first draft, and Paul did as well.

Mark