Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:06:01 +0100

> > You can fire through friendlies, through enemies, whatever. The
> >only restriction is that when you fire at a Detachment, you must (unless
> >using SHWs) fire at the closest units in the detachment first.
> >
> >So if you have one detachment (normal), and another detachment
> >(Commander) behind it, you can fire at the closest units in the
> >detachment (Commander). Which will be Bodyguards if the opposing player
> >has any sense, that's what Bodyguards are for! But if not, by all means
> >get the Commander.
> >

> How has this affected the game ? Esp. when SHW can target the Commander at will.

In the games I've played so far, not at all. i've lost commanders and
characters by leaving them as the closest units in the detachment
(STOOPID) but not by having the opponent specifically target them. At
the end of the day, the commander is a bit harder than the grunts, but
by no means a super-troop. His loss, whilst a nice bonus to someone,
rarely causes major problems. On the other hand, a war engine or nasty
tank (read "land raider") is a much better bag. Further, the characters
usually get saves. I'll aim for psykers sometimes, but ordinary
commanders? Rarely.

If my opponent should ever give me the choice of losing a marine captain
or a land raider, I'll be sure to hand him the infantry stand. But I
doubt anyone is going to give me the option.

It might cause a few more problems for the bug players, but with 20
Genestealers in Assault Spawn moving 25+20+25 into contact, my heart
bleeds for them.

Richard