Re: [Epic] [E40k] Firefights and Line of Sight

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:06:11 +0100

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 10:43 PM 4/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >It you don't let all units within 15cm have line of sight, strange
> >things can happen. I had 4 Marines run up to one Ork out in the open
> >when the rest of his very large mob was in woods.
>
> In the woods does not block LoS. Terrain can be seen into and out of, just
> not through.

But remember that the rules were written on the assumption that terrain
pieces are no bigger than 15cm.

> >The rules say you don't need LOS or a Firepower Factor to snap fire, so
> >this was not too much of a leap of faith.
>
> Maybe they thought it was common sense . . .

So it could be common sense to allow units on one side of a building
firefight with units on the other side of the buiding when in the
previous phase they were not allowed to shoot at each other?

It is possible (nay, easy) to think up silly situations no matter which
way the rules are interpreted, but I'm always wary of applying "common
sense, the designers _must_ have meant X" when the designers could easly
have meant Y. Remeber, the exception to LOS for snap-fire is
specifically printeed inthe rule books - there is no such printed
exception for firefights. So _I_ must be right.

ALthough I might just as easily be wrong. There are two, equally valid
points of view here (no pun intended). I just prefer mine (now there's
a surprise).

Richard