Re: [Epic] Multiple Mailing Lists

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:51:23 -0400 (EDT)

>> Aw... It's not so bad for us dyed in the woll 2nd edition players...
>>
>> I kinda like skimming the forty-odd messages per day from disgruntled EPIC97
>> players.
>
> Is that any better than skimming 80-odd messages/day
>from disgruntled SM/TL players? Well, maybe disgruntled isn't
>the right word, but we certainly bitched a helluva lot about
>the rules.

I'll second that! I, for one, was overjoyed to see the demise of all
the cheesy special rules for waveserpents, doomweavers, chaos rewards,
dragsta fields and all those other special units. IMO, they mucked up
the rules royally while adding very little to the strategy of the game
(except for allowing more chances for cheese mongering and "creative
rules interpritations"). I cant add up all the wasted time debating
the interactions between different special rules ("So what exactly
happens when you shoot a shokk attakk gun into a holofield?", or does
anyone want to relive the doomweavers vs void shield, or DW plus
waveserpent debates?).

Good riddance to all that crap. No more pea-brains doing cheesy things
like:

1) Telling me that a unit out of LOS can screen a command unit in LOS.
2) Shooting eldrich storms and warp waves into their own troops.
3) Dropping empty Drop pods as free orbital bombardment.
4) Giving drop pods to land raider companies.
5) Putting lifta-droppas on the shoulder mounts of gargants.
6) Claiming this or that unit ignores command rules (like Deathstrikes).
7) and on and on! (Insert your own pet peeve)

For all the faults of e40k, I haven't seen anything come up so far that
remotely compares to the holes in SM/TL, or any debate nearly as heated
as the ones that these holes generated. The Q&As were longer than the
rules and armies books combined!

David