Re: [Epic] Rampage (was: got my Epic 40K)

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:56:21 -0500

>W. Gregory Klett wrote:
>>
>> > But that's just the summary. I don't have my rules
>> >with me, but I'm pretty sure in the Rules(?) Book, when talking
>> >about retreating, simply states that rampagers cannot make a
>> >retreat move and thus are killed if they were within 15cm of the
>> >enemy. Rampagers are still a risk, they just aren't a liability.
>>
>> It actually says the same in the rule book with the phrasing "Rampage
>> units are so berserk that they may not retreat from combat. This means
>> Rampage units are always caught by the enemy and destroyed if they lose
>> a close combat." p37 of the rule book.
>
> You're right, I skimmed thru the books & couldn't find
>anything else about rampagers.
>
>> I still think that this makes Rampaging units more of a liability than
>> an asset. The Bugs may usually win in CC but the following fire fight will
>> clear out all of those nasty Carnifex's and Assault Spawn with ease.
>
> There's no mention of firefights in any of the rampage
>descriptions, so I see no reason why they would be auto-eliminated
>in one. Also, the sentence before the one you quoted implicitly
>defines a 'close combat' as when the rampager is in base-to-base
>contact. And there is nothing explicit about rampagers not being
>able to make retreat moves, so by the rules a rampager lending
>support could fall back.
>
> Personally I like the interpretation that the rampager
>cannot make a retreat move, period.
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

 I was infering this because both Close Combats and Firefights have
the same/similiar retreat rules, so in what may have been a mistake
I considered the retreat rules to apply to both CC and FF.

 Yes, yes, I know... making assumptions like this with GW is a very bad
thing to do. ..sigh... It is just so hard to not try and use logic
to fill in the blanks where GW is concerned. I should remember by
now that the apparent logical answer is typically the wrong one.

  Greg

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |