Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Joseph Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:34:44 -0500

PAULO ALEXANDRE CORREIA POMBAL(leic) wrote:
> Hear, hear.
> I always imagine each marine legion (pre heresy) with 50 million and each
> marine chapter (after heresy) with 1 million soldiers. The organization
> would be somewhat different:
> Company - 100 men
> Battalion - 10 companies
> Manipule - 10 battalions
> Cohort - 10 manipules
> Chapter - 10 cohorts

How about:
Fire team 5 men / 1 tank (1 stand duh)
Platoon 5 fire teams (25)
Company 5 platoons (125)
Battalion 5 companines (625)
Regiment 5 battalions (3,125)
Manipule 5 Regiments (15,625)
Corp 5 Manipules (78,125)
Cohort 5 Corps (390,625)
Chapter 5 Cohorts (1,953,125)

This gives you more or less the same effect AND doesn't violate the "law
of 5" for military command, which states, more or less, that a single
commander should never give commands to more than 5 persons. As an
expansion of this idea, you give commands one level down, but are aware
of the actions and locations 2 levels down. Example. Company commander
gives orders to platoon leaders, but is aware of his squad/fire team's
locations and actions. He does not need to know where Pvt. Smith is,
just where Smith's fire team is at.

For what it is worth, the Chapter given here would have about the same
number of men as the whole of the US Army during the bad days of the
Cold War, and is about twice the current total.