Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 02:13:59 -0700

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> Alan,

> I just wanted to ask how, with your name, you could possibly pass up
> the opportunity to have the net address "abrain_at_wherever" or jsut as a sig
> for that matter . . . "signed, a brain"

Very easily. The novelty wears off.

For example, mail sent to abrain_at_... gets re-directed here.
The cognoscenti and literati will recognise that a domain name of 'oz'
harks back to the DARPANET days when OZ mean Oztrellya as opposed to the
more PC and modern AU for AUstralia.

I have an Uncle, also A.E.Brain, who worked on electronics in WW2 and
later at SRI, doing some of the first work on Neural Networks in 1960.
Yes, 1960. The Neural Net groups lost a political fight with Marvin
Minsky, who championed the Von Neumann architecture. So we lost 30
years...
ANYWAY... said uncle submitted a fairly long article to Scientific
American, on his work on Shakey and other robots. At the last minute, it
was pulled from publication, as they thought his name signalled a hoax.
Been there, done that. The last (Classified) paper I worked on was
originally titled "A Genetic/Sexual Evolutionary model for producing
Optimal Strategies in Rules-Based Rapid Response Systems". Had a hell of
a job getting it taken seriously. As the product was a radically
improved anti-missile defence system in service with at least one NATO
navy, this was not a joke.

A. Brain? I just thank God my parents didn't call me Peter....

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture