Re: [Epic] Q&A 2 (and advice)

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 11:47:17 +0100

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> >12) Was the Eldar Farseer used as a detatchment HQ designed to cost 75
> >points, or was this price an unforseen consequence of last minute changes
> >in the structure of the army lists? He seems to cost only 50 points when
> >purchased as a supreme commander.
>
> P: Inititially all Eldar War Hosts were led by a Farseer that cost 50
> points (you had no choice, you had to take him). In the end, however, we
> decided this was a bit silly as there simply aren't that many Farseers
> around, so we made using a Farseer an option at a cost of 50 points. (We
> know that nearly all 40K Eldar armies are led by a Farseer - we hope to be
> able to remedy this at some point in the future...) Then we found that at
> 50 points all detachments ended up being led by a Farseer anyway, so we
> added in the +25 point mark-up. On the other hand using a Farseer as a
> Supreme Commander seemed highly appropriate, so we left him at 50 points in
> this case.

So, the Eldar were screwed intentionally on this one. Oh well. I won't
point out how rare (and by this logic, how expensive it should be) to
see either a chapter master or inquisitor on the field. Nor will I
point out that dreadnaughts are supposed to be extremely limited in
number, and carefully rationed, in 40k (and with this logic should cost
more points). The same would apply to many other units. But it's just
the Eldar that got screwed.

I'll continue to play marines. This just makes me unlikely to expand my
small force of Eldar. Most of the rest of the answers made some sort of
sense ....

Richard
If I ever become an Evil Overlord:
  1. My legions of terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass
visors, not face-concealing ones.
  2. My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through.
  3. My noble half-brother whose throne I usurped will be killed,
not kept anonymously imprisoned in a forgotten cell of my dungeon.
  4. Shooting is _not_ too good for my enemies.
  5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept
on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by
the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box.
  6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.
  7. When the rebel leader challenges me to fight one-on-one and
asks, "Or are you afraid without your armies to back you up?" My
reply will be, "No, just sensible."
  8. When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you
kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll
say, "No." and shoot him.
  9. After I kidnap the beautiful princess, we will be married
immediately in a quiet civil ceremony, not a lavish spectacle in
three weeks time during which the final phase of my plan will be
carried out.
  10. I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely
      necessary. If it is necessary, it will not be a large red
button labelled "Danger: Do Not Push".
  11. I will not order my trusted lieutenant to kill the infant who is
      destined to overthrow me -- I'll do it myself.
  12. I will not interrogate my enemies in the inner sanctum -- a small
      hotel well outside my borders will work just as well.
  13. I will be secure in my superiority. Therefore, I will feel no
need to prove it by leaving clues in the form of riddles or
leaving my weaker enemies alive to show they pose no threat.
  14. I will not waste time making my enemy's death look like
an accident: I'm not accountable to anyone and my other
enemies wouldn't believe it.
  15. I will make it clear that I _do_ know the meaning of the
word "mercy"; I simply choose not show them any.
  16. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child.
Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected
before
      implementation.
  17. All slain enemies will be cremated, not left for dead at the
bottom of the cliff. The announcement of their deaths, as well as
any accompanying celebration, will be deferred until after the
aforementioned disposal.
  18. My undercover agents will not have tattoos identifying them
as members of my organization, nor will they be required to
wear military boots or adhere to any other dress codes.
  19. The hero is not entitled to a last kiss, a last cigarette, or any
      other form of last request.
  20. I will never employ any device with a digital countdown. If I find
      that such a device is absolutely unavoidable, I will set it
to activate when the counter reaches 117 and the hero is just
putting his plan into operation.
  21. I will design all doomsday machines myself. If I must hire a mad
      scientist to assist me, I will make sure that he is
sufficiently twisted to never regret his evil ways and seek to
undo the damage he's caused.
  22. I will never utter the sentence "But before I kill you,
there's just one thing I want to know."
  23. When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen
to their advice.