Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: Brian Douglas <bdouglas_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:47:46 PDT

On Sat, 24 May 1997 11:31:41 -0400 (EDT) David Lado wrote:
> And as far as the notion that testing nuclear weapons is somehow
> "research", I think that is just another smoke-screening and hand-
> waving attempt. I seriously doubt this "research" was ever
subjucted
> to the critical peer review that all other research (including in
> France) must first face. Of course, the goverment says "We can't
> subject our research to peer review, it would be a threat to (you
> guessed it!) _national defense_!" See the beauty in the system?
The
> goverment does what ever it likes and reserves the authority to
> forcibly repress any dissent, at home or abroad.

Some years back I edited a mainstream magazine about local and
national government in the UK. About that time the UK (actually pretty
poor on freedom of information anyway) brought in a new Official
Secrets Act. The result was you could be detained for compromising
Official Secrets. The nature of the compromise or secrets involved
didn't have to be revealed to you as that would be compromising
official secrets, and any form of trial was out of the question as ...

I think this is one of the most astounding pieces of legislation I
have ever come across. The only things I have encountered on a par
are: The Chief of the London Fire and Civil Defence services who was
informed of the movement of nuclear waste through London and then
forced to sign the Official Secrets Act so he couldn't tell anyone
else (think about it); the ex-directory information office; the
hospital which was closed due to illness; and the Belizian poster
campaign for adult literacy.