Re: [Epic] Q&A 2 (and notes)

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 00:56:42 +0100

David Lado wrote:

> > IIRC the snap-fire rules make no
> >distinction based on fp, or even whether or not you are firing a SHW. You
> >just roll one die against the opponent's armor value. I'll try to remember
> >to look a page number up tonight.
>
> Page 15 of the rule book (SNAP-FIRE)
>
> Second Paragraph:
>
> "The unit can move no further - the sudden burst of enemy fire cause it
> to halt. In addition the attacker rolls a D6 to see whether they get a
> hit. Note, you always roll 1D6, no matter what the Firepower of the
> attacker. If the D6 roll equals or beats the moving unit's Armour value
> it takes a hit in addition to being halted. The effect of hits is
> explained in the Shooting Phase."
>
> So my take is that snap-fire is a special attack independent of what
> weapon (or even if a weapon) is being used. I see how it makes
> sense to say that since SHWs "reduce the enemy's armour value", the
> modified armour value should be used. However, none of the other
> rules for normal shooting apply (such as LOS, cover, and target
> selection), I see no reason to apply the SHW special rulez either.
> I guess the point is that snap-firing is not "shooting your weapon"
> at an enemy. After all, units without any ranged weapons at all
> (like genestealers and beastmen) can still snap-fire, so the exact
> nature of the weapon being used doesn't seem to be a consideration.
> Still, I think it's a good one for the next Q&A (and add to that
> the question of whether an infantry unit gets the armour bonus for
> being in cover).
>
> David

FWIW, I agree with both you and Temp, and for exactly the reason you
give. But we might all be wrong. And as this question is not confined
to shooting at flyers, perhaps it's one for the Q&A.

How about this for a Q&A post -
Q - an enemy unit with an armour of 5+ moves within 10cm's of my Land
Raider. I yell "snap fire!" I roll one die to hit. Does the enemy
unit suffer a hit:
a) if I roll 5 or higher (as this beats the target's armour value, and
the shooting unit's firepower is irrelevant for snapfire) or
b) if I roll 4 or higher (as the AntiTank shot treats the target's
armour value as 4+, which the die roll has beaten)?

Richard