Re: [Epic] special chapters - Blood Angels

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 May 97 21:43:48 EDT

At 10:49 PM 5/31/97 +0100, you wrote:
>PAspin3551_at_... wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 31/05/97 07:27:57, dewsbery_at_... (Richard
>> Dewsbery) writes:
>>
>> <<
>> > Also, the Death company are a bit too cheesy
>> > for my liking - space marines with assualt, save and rampage are a bit too
>> > good, especially for only 20 points! Give them jump packs, and your
>> away...
>>
>> Again, they cost an extra 5 points over standard marines. A fair deal
>> on the face of it. (and is rampage really advisable for small
>> detachments?)
>> > >>

>> No it isnt fair. Terminators cost 19 points, and get save. Death Company cost
>> 20 points, and get save, assualt and rampage.
>
>I missed the fact that they got a save as well as assault and rampage.
>Without the save, I think 5 points would be a fair premium. With save,
>perhaps the cost should be 24-25 points.
>
>Richard

I don't know, 25 seems too high to me. I admit, 20 is a bit low, but not
by that much. You only get one stand for 20 points, and rampage has high
liabilities that goes along with it. Normal assault marines pay 1 for
the assault ability, Khorne berzerkers pay 2 for assault _and_ rampage.
The save should only cost 4 (regular marine termies). I think 21 is
fair, maybe 22, but anything higher is a bit rough on a detachment that
will only have a _maximum_ of 12 units in it. Granted, it'll be tough
to get rid of _all_ of them, but considering it's only one detachment, and
a small one to boot, I don't think they'll make that much of a difference
in the grand scheme of things. Of course, I don't have the rules for them
yet, so I don't know what other restrictions they have, but if it's like
SM2, then you can only have _max_ one detachment of them in the first place.
Personally, I'd rather take marines that have the good sense to get
the hell out of a no win situation, than marines who just stare at
their foes with bulging eyes and froth at the mouth while waiting
for the incoming shells to blow them to smithereens. And yes, I do
play Blood Angels.

BTW, when I looked back at A.E.Brain's post of the new rules, there
is no mention of rampage, only assault and save. 5 points for those
two abilities seems reasonable to me. If they want jump packs, they
need to pay 2 points, which is what normal assault marines pay for
for both jump packs _and_ assault.

So, in conclusion, the Death Company does _not_ seem underpriced, in
my completely honest opinion.

Elias