[Epic] Eldar Tactics that works

From: Anders Persson <apersson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:25:57 +0200

Dear Maillist.

At 0130 this morning I gave the final order to retreat all squads still
defending my mining installation. Though my IG defenders and their Titan
legion support fought well, defeat was mine.

So to all you Eldar players griping about unfair armylists, this is what
you do:

1. When playing against the Imperium, make sure the Imperial player only
use two of Imperial Guard, Titans and Space Marines (This is pretty fair,
and I think most Imperial players should play this way).

2. Decide the mission before you make your army and tool up for the job.

3. Arrange with you opponent that the falcon is capable of transporting to
units (I think this is quite fair, considering its points value).

4. Buy as many assault troops as you can. My opponent use large detachments
of aspect w. with jump packs and an exarch in each stand. Mix in a couple
of warlocks so you are sure of having most psykers. We have played EPIC for
many years, and he has refitted the exarch models and swooping hawks to the
new bases, so he can use two det. of 10 or so models WYSIWYG. Theese det.
have an effective assault range that by far outreach anything but my
artillery, and if he needs further reach, he use det. of falcons on march
to transport them a bit and then move on their own accord from then on.

5. Time your attack!!! Your quite impressive move rates will allow you to
spend a turn or two moving into strike positions outside the enemy range.
When time and initiative is right you strike. All forces attack at once.
Let the enemy move first, and move your dark reapers and support platforms
into range of parts of his force. Don't challenge his entire force, just
50% or so. Cover everything in blastmarkers in the shooting phase, and in
the assault phase attack with your fast troops.
Sure you'll end up in a couple of firefights, but who cares.

6. Retreat det. that have recieved heavy casualties. You can not afford
that D3 morale. Morale is your worst opponent.

7. Use night spinners heavyly. Prep the targets so a) the enemy won't be
able to assault, and b) a single enemy det. with 6 BM is a lot better than
4 enemy det. with 2 BM each. Also utilize objectives that reduce enemy
morale. Morale is worst for your opponent.

8. Avoid defensive missions, and use lots guardians when you have no
choice.

apersson :o)