RE: [Epic] GW BOYCOTT (MUST READ IMEADIATELY) (fwd)

From: Mark Leaman <mleaman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:33:01 -0400

I'm glad you caught my sarcasm. Compared to some, GW hobby stuff is
affordable. Personally, I think the boycott notion is a joke. I
lustfully await the release of the E40K Space Marine goodies this month.
Cripes, someone calls for a boycott right as I get enough cash together
to buy the 40K Space Marine boxed army. Not to mention, the two
additional boxed sets of E40K I had budgeted for. I finally broke down
and bought Bloodbowl, then Necromunda, then E40K. All within a year's
span. The truth of the matter (for me) is, they make really cool figs,
that I really enjoy painting. The games, and the rules are very fun. I
dumped my card game habit and now have all the cash I need to buy my
miniatures stuff. The truth of the matter is, I actually spend less on
my GW gaming stuff, then I did on my card game habit. And most of the
miniatures have a longer life span before they are dumped in a rules
update. (Which in actuality is rarely, compared to official banned and
restricted lists from some "unmentionable" card games.)
I'm not saying we shouldn't gripe. If GW does mess up enough, their
consumer base, will go elsewhere, if there is an elsewhere to go. But as
it stands for me:

1. Yes they are expensive, but compared to some other hobbies, they
aren't that bad. Don't take it personally that they are trying to make
money and grow like any other business out there.

2. Their stuff, for the most part, has a high appeal factor, and their
quality is good to great compared to some other game companies. I called
customer support regarding a miscast sprue of Space Marines, the staff
of the Librarian was stubbed. They sent me all whole new sprue. No
charge.

I was big into Steve Jackson Games' OGRE Miniatures. I bought the
miniatures rulebook, which came with flimsy, poorly illustrated
templates. For the same amount of money, even less actually, I got more
miniatures (having to by OGRE miniatures separately) in the new EPIC 40K
and cooler looking terrain, and templates. The funny thing is, I got
twice as many miniatures in EPIC 40K than I did buying OGRE Miniatures
(which was 4 years ago) for the same amount of money. I just don't see
GW being as much of a "screw over" as people complain about.

3. The guys at the local shop enforce the house rule that if it doesn't
actually, literally say it in the rules, then you can't do it. That
seems to resolve most rule conflicts. Not all mind you ;)

All in all, capitalism can put a stinger in a hobby near and dear to
anyone, especially when a company producing the hobby wants to grow. Yes
it could be a little better, with GW still managing to survive. But it
could be MUCH worse too.

If the minis get too expensive, what does it ultimately mean? Smaller
armies? Smaller point games? Shucks, you mean I have to paint fewer
miniatures? Oh well.