Re: [Epic] Guard tactics

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 22:56:50 +1300

On Thu 05 Jun, Mark A Shieh wrote:
> Sean Smith <seans_at_...> writes:
> > As I read that is correct. You can have upto 9 sentinel squadrns, each with
> > upto 5 sentinels. I don't way you would want through, sentinels have
> > slightly less fire power than marines on overwatch (point for point), 94% and
> > a lower assault value 63%.
>
> Because they move faster, and have more staying power. At 9
> points each vs. 15 points each? and a 4+save vs. a 5+save, they are
> marginally more difficult to destroy with FP, slightly easier with
> barrages, and more difficuly by far with AT/Death Ray shots. The
> detachment is still cheap, but has become ridiculously difficult to
> reduce to 1/2 strength.
>
> And, because Sentinels/Guardsmen have a striking resemblence
> to the Scouts/Guardians situation. I'd much rather be fielding Scouts
> than Guardians in the vast majority of situations. While not quite as
> good a comparison the Sentinels are more useful than Guardsmen.
> Especially with maneuverability becoming much more important than it
> was before... They can also keep up with Hellhounds...
>
> Due to the speed of my current connection, I've deliberately
> chosen not to list the *bad* parts of fielding a 45 Sentinel
> detachment. But I'm not claiming that the Sentinel is the solution to
> all IG problems, just a good unit to use as a basic trooper.

As far as I can see in the rules sentinels are treated as cavalry, this
means they can't enter buildings and fortfications; and treat ruins, rubble
and woods as dangerous, where as infantry treat these all as no effect.
This the first disadvantage I see Sentinels have. Their second disadvantage is
that point for point charging cavalry have 160% more assault value i.e
30 points of charging rough riders have an assault value of 6 vs 3.75
for sentinels. Also rough riders charging have the same armour.
The only thing going for sentinels is there numbers and firepower; but
heavy weapon IG troops have more fire power, greater range and can occupy
terrain that sentinels can't assault (the same as marine devastors).
Overall I would use rough riders instead of sentinels, because of
the rough riders higher assualt value, point for point.

--
 Sean Smith
 Home - Seans_at_...