RE: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: Brian Douglas <bdouglas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:24:46 PDT

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 07:44:54 -0400 James Nugent wrote:

> My main problem with this is that it's *too* random. Tunnelers
> shouldn't be quite *that* blind; just pay attention to how fast
you're
> going for how long, for a rough estimate, or there's intertial
guidance
> and maybe some others.
>
> How about this:
> Special Ability:Tunneler. Tunnelers are machinges that move
underground, =
> and appear beneath enemy troops. A tunneler may dive or surface once
a =
> turn. When a tunneler dives is goes below ground and stays below for
the =
> rest of that turn. when it surfaces it goes above ground and stays
above =
> ground for the rest of the turn. While below ground tunnelers may
not =
> fire, be fired on or participate in CC/FF And they ignore terrain.
If =
> they start they game below ground tunnerls my infiltrate, also
below =
> ground. When a Tunneler surfaces it may not actually surface where
it =
> intends. This is because while the vehical is below ground the model
=
> only tracks it's intended location. For each turn a tunneler spent
below =
> ground, roll deviation, i.e roll the scatter die and move the model
a =
> number of centimeters in the indicated directrion. For each turn the
=
> tunneler spent below ground on normal orders roll 1D6, for assault
roll =
> 2D6, and for march orders roll 3D6. Each deviation is rolled
seperatly. =
> A infiltration move counts as assault. Troops leaving a tunneler are
=
> treated like troops leaving a transporting flyer.
>
> comments/notes:This would be an optional rule, sort of a fun thing.
Yes =
> it's a special rule, but I tried to make it easy to understand, I
hope I =
> succeded. Tell me what you think. I figure the deviation is
signifigant, =
> but over several turns it will average out. That is why it is
seperated, =
> instead of just adding up the D6 and deviating once.=20
> additional thoughts:
> Possibly a 5cm penalty for surfacing/diving
> making sub-surface tunnelrs move like war machines, i.e. 1x 45
degree =
> turn and pay for more.=20
> change the rules so they may not surface in the assault phase. I'm
not =
> sure if that will unbalce things or not, since the squats have no
fast =
> assault troops.=20

---=
> -------------------------------------
> "Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
> "You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
> "You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts from
the =
> last 10 million years."
> "But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we
care." =20
> -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
> -----------------------------------------------------James =
> Nugent----------------------------------------

I always wanted to use tunnellers but found their speed just to slow
to put them anywhere useful. I like the idea of rolling deviation for
each turn underground, may I suggest the deviation is rolled once
the player has declared it is surfacing? (e.g if a tunneller has been
underground for 3 turns it rolls 3 times WHEN it surfaces to work out
WHERE it surfaces).

As for underground firing, how about Mole Mortars (perhaps used as the
ST equivalent of AA - unless of course you've been seduced by the
heresy of E40K 8*P ).

'Squats have no fast assualt troops'
in E40K they have as many fast assault troops as they do any other
kind - Diddly Squat 8)