Re: [Epic] Ork Units & Tactics [Long]

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:46:02 -0500

At 10:07 PM 6/22/97 +1300, you wrote:

> Unit - Nobz
> - Armour 4+ vs marines 5+
> - Nobz also have save, which means that armour
> value vs firepower & anti-tank fire is affectively
> the same as marines.

Actually, much better. It makes them twice as good against AT shots, and
they take 25% casualties against each fp die vs. marine's 33%

> Unit - Shooty Boyz

>Advice - They are an ok unit, if you need the firepower.
> Personally I would spend the points on more
> Nobz, all things being equal. I would only take
> Shooty Boyz if I was going to have to fight
> a defensive battle.

I think they will be good for supporting the nobz in cc. Not direct
support, but they can place lots of BMs. Also, the Battlewagon transport
has the same range, so you can load them up, hit midboard on turn one, and
really reach out and touch someone.

> Unit - BoarBoyz
>Advice - Never take any, see Stormboyz advice for
> reasons way.

Well, they do have better armor, and can use most cover (just not
buildings). You can also upgrade commanders to boarz.

> Unit - Buggies
>Advice - My advice is to forget them,

> Unit - Bikeboyz
>Advice - The advice I gave about buggies is the same for
> bikes.

Don't forget they are a cheap and effective way of screening the
Battlewagons from fire (a la gretchin). A KoS with a bike/buggy screen can
approach the enemy, lose its cheap units, and still have its assault
ability. Load some nobz on the wagons and Voila! you have a very tough
assault group.

>Unit - Dreadnought
>
> - 1 less firepower, assault and armour level
> than a marine dreadnought. As a result it is
> half the cost.
>Advice - Forget it, get more Nobz instead. Nobz cost 14 points
> vs 13 for dreadnoughts, Nobz have an assault
> value of 4 vs dreadnoughts 3, Nobz the same firepower
> and effectively the same armor (with their save
> ability).

But they do have 45 cm range, and might be useful to bolster a shooty mob.
Even moreso since shooty boys have lousy assault.

>Unit - Flak Wagon

>Advice - They are even better AA than Hydras. Ok
> you lose a little fire power, but you get
> mobile AA protection. Take plenty of them,
> you will need them.

There's no such thing as mobile AA protection. You have to be on special
orders to use flak ability. I would suggest fighta-bombers or just sucking
it up. It is good flak, but flak in general sucks.

> Unit - Stompa

>Advice - <snip> I would only
> get them if you know in advance your Ork army
> is going to be on the defensive in a particular
> area of the battlefield and then put them in
> that section of the battlefield

Again you ignore the fact that you can take a stompa commander (w/ hero
ability - 8 assault and save). In charge of a shooty mob, it could be quite
effectve. Same range, and the assault to bolster an otherwise weak det in cc.

> Unit - Fighter-Bommer

>Advice - When the Oaks take the offensive they will have to
> take the role of Orks artillery support, as Ork
> own artillery doesn't have the range or the speed
> to get in range of enemy units, in time to support
> the fast offensives of Orks. My advice is that you
> should plan to take 50% to 100% more than whatever
> your opposition is going take in the way of air
> support.

I agree. But, again, forget the flakwagons.

> Unit - Big Gunz & Pulsa Rockets
>Advice - Both have to shorter range and are to slow.
> Only usefully if you are on the defensive or
> when conducting a slow rumbling attack (which
> is exactley the type of attack Orks want avoid
> conducting). Only take them in exceptional
> circumstanes.

If I remember correctly, Big Gunz are about the same price as shooty boyz,
count as infantry, and they get the artillery ability, so they would work
very well in support of a shooty detachment.

> Unit - battlefortress

> - Can transport 5 troops. Rhinos can transport

They transport 4 units.

>Advice - I would never take any of them at all. They
> are to slow for troop transports and they
> sitting ducks for anti tank weapons and 3 units
> of marines (worth 45 points) have the same
> assault value. The only benefit of
> battlefortresses is their fire power. But other
> Ork units can give you greater firepower for less
> cost in points.

I think you made a big mistake here.

1) Yes, you can get more fp for the same points, but does it have the same
durability?
2) Ditto, but does it have the same psychological effect? You can get more
fp than most WEs from other detachments in all armies, but WEs are still
worth it.
3) You compare it to 3 marines, but that is not valid for the same reason
comparing 3 gretchin to a marine is not valid. It can still only be
attacked by 2 units at a time (half of 4 DC is 2).
4) You have neglected the fact that it is a heavy concentration of firepower
in one place. 3 Battlefortresses can beat most detachments in a ff or cc
because they can hit a very small portion of the enemy detachment, but they
still get all their abilities. Especially considering that Orks get a bonus
on initiative for the assault phase, I think this is VERY important.

All in all, I don't think this was as well though out as your IG opinions.
No offense.

Temp