Re: [Epic] Ork Units & Tactics [Long]

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:12:08 -0500

At 11:23 PM 6/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>3) These statistics can often overlook subtle, but none the less
>significant, points.

One very important point that I forgot to point out is the "square root
rule." This military rule of thumb says that a person armed with twice as
much firepower is not twice as effective as someone else. Both will die
with a single bullet. He is only 1.41 times as effective (square root of
two). I think this is certainly true for Orks. Yes, you get the same fp or
assault per point for two types of units, but when you have 10 of 1 and 5 of
the other, the one with 10 guys will probably win.

One example I can think of is a horde of geenskins led by a horde of nobz.
Put the nobz up front to take advantage of their save to screen the boyz
(i.e. you take the same amountof casualties as if it were an all-nobz
force). When you do get into cc, you have the same amount of assault value
as if you took all nobz, but you have more units outnumbered, so you get
more chances to inflict casualties. You also have more stands to support
cc, so if not everyone can get into hth, the boyz may actually come out as a
better deal.

Temp