RE: [Epic] Nobz Warbikes

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:54:25 -0400

One unit that exists in WH40K but not in E40K is the Nobz Warbike.

This i=
s attempt to make some stats for them, and give the reasoning
behind it.

N=
ow I don't have Codex:Orks, but I do have Ere We Go and Freebooterz. It
see=
ms that unlike the normal Warbikes, the Nobz Warbike is just a
transport fo=
r His Nibs. No 45cm range Lascannon! No armament at all,
except for the Nob=
. Thus we can't just take the normal Ork bike and give
it +hero, the firepo=
wer would be too long range.

OK, so perhaps we should take a Nobz unit, an=
d give it 35cm move? Not
really, because we have only 3 bikes vs 5 Nobz. We=
 also have a real
game-unbalancer, with a +4 AF with 35cm move. Would cost =
the earth.

So, how about taking the bikes, and adding +hero and +assault. =
This way,
we get an FP of 1, a range of 15cm, an AF of 3, and a save. You c=
ould
rationalise the decreased range by saying that the Nobz are using
shor=
ter-ranged but higher-powered weapons to make up for the fact that
there ar=
e only 3 instead of 5 of them. Similarly, the AF of 3 is for 3
Nobz, plus t=
he unarmed bikes, as opposed to 4 for 5 Nobz.

Because the decrease from 45=
 to 15cm is so high, we should take the cost
of the Ork Buggy ( a 30cm rang=
e warbike essentially) as the base. Add
the standard +5 for Hero, and +2 fo=
r Assault.

So we end up with
              Move FP Range AF Armour Spe=
cial
Nobz Warbikes 35 1 15cm 3 4+ Save

And a cost of 18 pts.
=

Not bad, although GW seems to view having bikes with an assault value as =
bad, since these are as good as troops with jump packs. I'd up the cost a b=
it more, maybe 19 points, because this would be the best assault unit in th=
e army. How about just bike and hero, for a coast of 16 pts, which, with a =
save, seems reasonable. Also, bikes arn't particulary effective assault tro=
ops in 40K.
---------------------------------------------------------------=
"Your incorrect assumptions=
 are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You as=
sume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 mil=
lion years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that w=
e care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore
-