Re: [Epic] Ork Units & Tactics [Long]

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:31:37 -0400

David Lado wrote:

> >> These rules have
> >> been playtested (despite cynical comments otherwise ;), and I find it
> >> very unlikely that there are truely any useless units in the list.
> >
> > With the rules as written: IG tac troops. Thousand Sons.
> >There's probably something useless in most lists (just not as much
> >as there used to be).
>
> Likewise, TS marines are not a bad deal. They are not as
> good a deal as marines, but different armies pay different amounts for
> the same type of units. What makes TS less effective is that you can't
> get the stubborn bonus if you field support units.

        Or a commander, or transports, or anything. As the
rules are written, 1000 Sons are useless unless you want a
mob of tac marines on foot.

> > Which doesn't mean that there can't be units that are useless
> >no matter what. The SM/TL IG list (and, to a lesser extent, Chaos) was
> >filled with such units: Hellbores, Firelords, etc etc ad nauseum.
>
> Hellbores... Forgot about those fellers (with good reason, they were
> very forgettable). I admit, there were definitely some stinkers in
> the other lists I had forgotten about. Hellbores definetly sucked, as
> did the Capitol Imperialis. There were also units which, while not
> useless, were overpriced. Guardians come to mind, but there were other
> examples. And then there were the IG assault troops, an idea that was
> so plain silly and only some one who had been tanning their brain in
> the Australian desert would actually field one ;)

        Hey! I *liked* the IG assault troops! Sure they
sucked when compared to everyone else's CC guys, but they're
*imperial guard* (so they're supposed to suck). What I don't
like is that Rough Riders are the only IG assault troops
available in the army now. The IG can't perform close combat
without having a bunch of guys on horses? Now *that* is
silly.

Scott
shupes_at_...