Re: [Epic] Revised Ork units & tactics

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:36:34 -0500

At 11:25 AM 6/25/97 +1300, you wrote:

>[Rant mode on]
>
>1) The articles are my own personal opinion and should be
> taken as such.

As are the criticisms.

>3) It was never the intention of these articles that the
> statistics be viewed in isolation. They were intended to
> aid the making of comparsion between different types.
> Also it was not my intention that the statistics be used
> in isolation from the role that a unit is suppost to perform.
> My intention was for it to be the other way round. I asked
> my self 'what role is this unit suppost to perform', then
> used the statistics as one measure to aid me in assessing
> how I well believed unit could perform X function.
>
> Has as been rightly pointed out, I hadn't realised all of
> the roles that certain units could perform.

I think this comes from an Imperial bias that you have one unit that is good
at one thing (except marines, who are good at everything). You have rhinos
for transport, LRs for tanks, dedicated artillery pieces, etc. Orks have
some specialization, but it is not as strong, and most ork units are
intended to perform multiple missions. For example, The Battlewagon has
decent armor, a good move, long range firepower, and a good assault value.
So, they arent' as good at just sitting back and shooting as, say LRs, but
they can easily rush forward at a critical point and assault something much
cheaper and more effectively than LRs.

> Unit - BoarBoyz

>Advice - I would never take any, I would use stormboyz
> instead. But a counter argument is that they
> have better armour and a commander can be
> upgraded to boarz.

You forgot that they can be fielded in large quantity, while stormboyz can't.

>Advice - basically you are paying 28 points to transport
> two units vs 7 points for marines to transport
> two units.

I know you go on to outline how battlewagons are different, but I think this
opening sentence shows how you have assumed that the main purpose of BWs is
to serve as transports. I disagree.

Temp