Re: [Epic] New Rules ADA Missiles

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 08:13:06 +1300

On Sun 06 Jul, J. Michael Looney wrote:

> HIMAD Missile
> Any unit that is armed with a "Vortex missile" type weapon may be
> upgraded to HIMAD for a cost of 20 points. This cost is per unit, not
> per missile in the case of units with more than one Vortex missile
> installed. The cost is to reflect the cost of fire control equipment on
> the launcher and the more or less minor modifications to the missile it
> self.
>
> A HIMAD modified system may use the following rules:
> * After normal flier missions are declared any HIMAD unit may be
> declared to be in Air Defense mode. This places the detachment on
> "Special" orders. For the non-air defense units in the detachment this
> acts as either another type of "special orders" (i.e. Flak or Prep fire)
> or as "Over watch".
> * The HIMAD missile is a flier with the following data:
>
> Move RNG FP Assault Armor
> Flier 0 0 6/6 6+

Eeeeek! If I knew that my oppent had such weapon available to him
I would never use any flyers. While your weapon maybe realistic,
it makes flyers sitting ducks and in my opinion unbalances the game.
Such weapon means that a flyer with 5+ armor has over a 90% chance of
being hit and I would guess a 75% chance of being shot down.

I also have to question the realism of such weapon. You haven't taken
into account the counter measures that modern aircraft have, such as
chaff and flares. You also haven't included the affects of radar
jamming. In addition I suspect that armies in E40K wouldn't worry
about exploding nuclear bombs high in the atmosphere to let off
electro-magnetic pulses, which would really stuff up radio frequencies
over long periods of time.

I suggest, rather than inventing counter measures for flyers, which
would slow the game down, downgrade the ability of the HIMAD system
on the assumption that all the adove counter measures would be
automatically used to counter it.

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...