RE: [Epic] New Rules ADA Missiles

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:56:55 -0400

Sean Smith wrote:

> > Move RNG FP Assault Armor
> > Flier =
      0 0 6/6 6+

> Eeeeek! If I knew that my oppent h=
ad such weapon available to him
> I would never use any flyers. While your =
weapon maybe realistic,
> it makes flyers sitting ducks and in my opinion u=
nbalances the game.
> Such weapon means that a flyer with 5+ armor has over=
 a 90% chance of
> being hit and I would guess a 75% chance of being shot d=
own.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that, and maybe 0 0 6/3 6+ would b=
better (again for 20 points).
> I also have to question the realism of su=
ch weapon. You haven't taken
> into account the counter measures that moder=
n aircraft have, such as
> chaff and flares. You also haven't included the =
affects of radar
> jamming. In addition I suspect that armies in E40K would=
n't worry
> about exploding nuclear bombs high in the atmosphere to let off=

> electro-magnetic pulses, which would really stuff up radio frequencies
>=
 over long periods of time.

Don't even start talking about that UNLESS you=
 play with the optional
rule that requires you to finish your path accross =
the table. The "fast
pull up with full after burners" fluff explainsion of=
 why you don't have
to finish your attack pass means that the flyer is givi=
ng any ADA units
a "perfect" shot at the ass of the plane. I spent 10 yea=
rs working on
ADA systems for the US Army (Nike Herc and Patriot systems). =
 The
aircraft "tactics" given in the fluff/rules (item 4, page 46, rule boo=
k)
means that no, they are not doing proper SEAD work and yes, the missile
=
units will clean them from the sky.

Lets not forget that I made the unit r=
ather pricy for a one shot
system. 20 points per launcher is not cheap.

>=

> I suggest, rather than inventing counter measures for flyers, which
> wo=
uld slow the game down, downgrade the ability of the HIMAD system
> on the =
assumption that all the adove counter measures would be
> automatically use=
d to counter it.

While your at it, I would get rid of the rule that allows=
 ordinary joes to snap fire at fliers. Thies is why fliers go straight up. =
 This way, between your rules and normall flack, you could adequetly protec=
t yourself, but fliers would not be useless. Also, you mentioned you were m=
aking rules for man portable rocket launchers, maybe make them work like no=
rmal snap-fire. So we fliers going straight accross the table, but only spe=
cial units can fire at them.
----------------------------------------------=
"Your inco=
rrect assumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five =
Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents and precepts fro=
m the last 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is=
 to assume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore