Re: [Epic] Doomweavers vs Titans

From: David Knowles <link0031_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 18:44:27 +0100

At 09:06 08/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
>David Knowles wrote:
>>
>> So if it hits an unshielded titan the titan is destroyed if it doesn't
have a 1+
>> save somewhere, but otherwise it is forced to move.
>> I've heard people say that if a unit is on first fire it counts as being
unable
>> to move and so is auto destroyed, is this correct?
>
> No, in fact this is covered by the Doomweaver
>rules - units on FF can move out of the way. Only
>units that are specifically immobilized are trapped
>(due to psychic lock, or having fired a Plasma
>Destructor, or whatever). Note that getting hit by
>a Wave Serpent doesn't mean you can't avoid the webs,
>according to the game designers.

Sorry I don't have a copy of Renegades, so much of what I'm saying is straight
of the top of my head. Thanks for setting me straight.

>> I see a big difference between something that cannot possibly move eg.
something
>> affected by psychic lock, and something that is simply choosing not to move.
>> We've always played that if something is on first fire and is forced to move
>> then unless it is explicitly stated otherwise it still fires in the FF phase.
>
> IIRC, a unit on FF forced to move because of
>a Doomweaver has its orders changed to Advance.
>
>> I know it's probably a bad idea to take titans against eldar,
>
> Yep.
>
>> What would other people take instead of a Warlord battlegroup?
>> I was thinking of;
>> Shadow Sword Company 500 pts
>> Storm Hammer 200 pts
>
> Storm Hammers are useless against eldar.
>Might as well give him a 2 VP handicap.

I always found the Storm Hammer to be pretty useful for getting rid of Jet
Bikes
attacking the Artilliary, and my opponent doesn't normally shoot it as the
Shadow Swords are a better target.

>> Artillary Company 600 pts
>
> You're not taking this already? What are
>you killing his titans with?

Vortex Missiles x2, Multi barrage missile, multi launchers, then Volcano
cannons etc. to finish them off.

Though in the last game I had a Rhino knock down a Phantom. It had already lost
its holo fields. The Rhino hit the titan in the leg at the side, the shot
didn't deviate, it failed its 2+ save then rolled a 6 for damage, scratch one
phantom.

Seriously though I do generally take the Artillary Company, its just that I like
the titans more. I've come close to losing many a game because I chose an army
because it looked good rather than for its combat ability.

                            DSK