RE: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:09:38 -0400

Scott wrote :
>OTOH, not every E40k player was a SM/TL player, and there's
=
>not a whole lot available for new players right now. I've seen
>Erik's ar=
my, and it consists of a few warlords, a bunch of space
>marine
>plastic in=
fantry/tanks, and some of the new metal SM/IG miniatures
>(thawks, arty, IG=
 flyers). I kinda doubt that he could have fielded
>an army that size with=
out taking a mixed force (or if he could have,
>it would be all tac marines=
, land raiders, and whirlwinds).

Didn't think about that... Yes, of course=
 if you have not enought

models to play you must use a mixed army. But I d=
idn't want to accuse

Erik of "cheesing".

I actually don't consider mixed=
 guard and Sm's cheesy. Using the best of each marine chapter (Deth Company=
 + Ravenwing + whater the other special one is) is cheesy, because it is no=
t that realisting, most marine chapters don't like each other, and I can't =
picture them fighting together in that way, at least not the special troops=
 from each one.
Stuff that seems cheesy to me:

Landraiders:Just cost to l=
ittle, and their to common. Actually, ani-tank weapons in general seem unde=
rpriced except on support weapons and Engines of Vaul.

ThunderHawks:Actual=
ly, any flier with a high armour and high gunnery value. They should not be=
 able to shoot down hoards of interceptors that attack them. In general, th=
ese should have weaker armour. In SM they were only 4+ armour while nightwi=
ngs had 3+ (The highest flier armour was the Firelord/harridan with a 2+)
-=
----------------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefol=
d."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we =
would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years."
=
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care."
                =
                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore