RE: [Epic] [EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: Matt Starling <mstarling_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:30:56 -0700

Cool! a reference to the poor, disgarded titan upgrades! Most of the tita=
n upgrades seem best to just ignore, like chaos tails and combat heads, bu=
t 2 in particular I think note mentioning. The psycker titan head seems li=
ke it would work easily as a +10 pt upgrade; especially considering phantom=
 titans can upgrade to warlock titans for +10 pts. But the Devotional Bell=
 really has no close equivalent in Epic40K (though how a corvus assault pod=
 ended up as a close combat weapon was just a cheap quick fix!). I was thi=
nking of the following rules for the Devotional Bell. (For those who haven=
't seen it, the Devotional Bell takes up both carapace weapon mounts):

Neg=
ates psychic ability of ALL enemy units within 30cm radius of Bell. Oppone=
nt cannot play psychic fate card abilities through a psycher unit that is w=
ithin 30cm radius of Bell. Daemon detachments (not chaos detachments, just=
 the Daemon detachments) must make a leadership test at the beginning of ea=
ch phase they are within 30cm radius of Bell; leadership test is made at +3=
 blast markers for the purposes of determining failure/success.

I haven't =
read all of the comments on Grey Knights yet, but here's my two bits:

Not =
all Grey Knights wore terminator armour; but all Grey Knights are devoted t=
o fighting Chaos. They should normally only be selected when expecting to =
face chaos opponents (though if some rogue Space Hulk disgorged a Waargh of=
 Orcs on a planet the GK happened to have recently cleansed, who'se to deny=
 the GK the honor of stomping on some orks!). Not all Grey Knights are psy=
chers either, though the psychic ability is pretty prevelant in their rank=
s. The biggest bonus Grey Knights had was they were not affected by the Te=
rror ability of Daemons; but Daemons no longer have a Terror ability in Epi=
c40K.

I would treat Grey Knights as regular space marines, but allow each =
stand of terminators the option of paying +10 to include a psycher, and 1 o=
f each 2 stands of regular marines the same +10 upgrade cost to upgrade 1 s=
tand to include a psycher. GK can easily get a psycher majority with these=
 rules if a player wants to pay the cost without giving GK too many advanta=
ges.

Regarding teleportation, I'm of 2 opinions. I agree the placement of=
 the teleported units should work the same way as the placement of drop pod=
 units: use markers stacked on a blast template and upturn it from 30 cm a=
bove the playing surface. If you envision teleportation working like it do=
es in star trek, I think any unit within 10cm would have time to react and =
snap fire, so don't have any additional cost involved. If you think telepo=
rtation should be more instantaneous without any flash, maybe even being mo=
re accurate so any unit landing on another unit would not be destroyed but =
would land in CC range next to the unit, apply a +3 cost per unit. (+3 was =
just an arbitrary number.) Treat the teleporting units like flanking units=
 that surprise the opponent; they can't snap fire on these units the first =
turn they appear. Any Comments?