RE: [Epic] Army Sizes

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:15:48 -0500

>What I would be interested in doing, if I had the time, is to
>inventing rules for a game of epic on a much larger scale. So
>that I could play games were the battle represented 100 titans,
>thousands of IG and marines etc. Of course the figures would
>have to be considerably smaller.
>
>This is however only a dream while I am doing masters.
>--
>
> Sean Smith
>
> Home - Seans_at_...
>
>--
-----> I know what you mean - when I first got interested in
miniatures, most of the rules out there had each figure
representing more than 1 person, usually 10 to 1 or even
100 to 1. Heck, even the first AD&D Battlesystem rules
used a 10 to 1 for most troops. Much of the difference is
in one's head, but in those types of games, troops usually
stay closer together, there are fewer units lost in one turn,
and unit formations/morale are much more important -
killing them off is the hard way to do things.
        BTW if you haven't seen it, look for "Battle for
Armageddon", one of GW's boardgames. It's pretty
much an Eastern Front (ww2) game disguised as a 40K
Universe game, with the orks as Germans and the
Imperium as Russians, but the units - there are about
3 "Titan Legion" counters and "Gargant Mobs" on each side
and the Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Salamandars
(entire marine chapters) are each ONE counter. There are
a ton of IG counters, mostly mediocre. The titan legions/
gargants are your leading smasher type attack units, and
the marines are usually rushed around the board to lead
attacks or defenses. Gives a pretty good perspective on
a big campaign with the different units. If we could come up
with a more miniature-oriented version of this it would be
cool.

Chris Miller