RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:24:07 -0400

BTW, I meant I usually play against imperials, sorry.

Engines of Vaul: d=
6 anti-tank shots is truly fearsome. They have less armor
than imperial sup=
er-heavy tanks for the same point cost, but it doesn't
matter because they =
pop-up in the war-machine phase, so they rarely get
hit.

True, these usual=
ly do well, and asside from a land raider, probably your best AT shot for y=
ou money.(if you roll ok)

Firestorms: the only effective flak unit because=
 of the 45 cm range; and
they are perfectly capable of exploding ground tar=
gets, also.

They are real expensive, and Hydras are actually better agains=
t most fliers. I did an analysis of this once. A hydra has a better chance =
to hit a flyer with 5+ armour, but they firestorm has a better chance of a =
kill.

Support weapon batteries: cheap and effective; anti-tank weapons are=
 very
nasty.
Actually, as an Imperial player, you have these also. I think =
they are also called
support weapons.
Same stats, cost 2 pts less.

Vypers=
 and Jetbikes: what they lack in range, they make up for in speed.
They hav=
e lots of firepower, which, if they are handled correctly, can do
much more=
 than just win firefights.

Odd, I've never seen these do much other than w=
in firefights.

Dreadnoughts:a very nice, fire-powerful support unit for a=
ny infantry
detachment
Dreads are a good well rounded option for any army. =
The imperial version is a point
less and 5cm slower, but otherwise identica=
l. They are your only unit that;s ok
at everything. Good Fp, good range, g=
ood armour and good assault. Kinda slow, but nobody's perfect.

-----------=
------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"You a=
ssume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be b=
ound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years."
"But your =
most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care."
                                        -David =
Brin, Infinity's Shore