[NetEpic ML] GW Declaration of Independence

From: Tzeentch <tzeentch666_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:06:15 -0800

Usually I ABHOR looking around in the GW newsgroup - but I was hunting for
those elusive playtest codexes everyone but me seems to have and saw this
gem!

BTW: If you have those playtest codexes let me know... I'll take care of
them ;) hehe

Kenneth
--------------------//----------------------

IN GAMING HALLS, May 27th, 1997

A Declaration
By the GAMERS of the
WORLD COMMUNITY,
In a general game assembled

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one group
of Gamers to dissolve the Gaming Bonds which have connected them with
another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and
equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle
them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they
should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all Gamers are created
equal, they the are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights, that among these are, unambiguous rules, complete rule sets,
affordable miniatures and the pursuit of fair and friendly games. That
to secure these Rights, Gaming companies are instituted among men,
deriving their powers from the consent of the Gamers, that whenever any
form of Gaming Company becomes destructive of these ends, it is the
Rights of the Gamers to alter, abolish it, institute new games or to
purchase from new gaming companies. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that
Gaming companies should not be changed for light and transient Causes;
and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Gamers are more disposed
to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by
abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long
Train of Editions, and Price Raises, pursuing invariable the same
Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Monopoly, it is
their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Gaming Companies, and
to provide new Games for their future entertainments. Such has been the
patient Sufferance of these Gamers; and such is now the Necessity which
constrains them to alter their Gaming Company. The History of the
President of Games Workshop is a History of repeated injuries and price
gouges, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute
monopoly over these Gamers. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a
candid World.

*They have instituted continuous price increases without justification.
*They have produced miniatures for numbers of years, without change in form
and charged a greater price.
*They have NOT produced miniatures for army books that have been out for
years.
*They have constantly revised editions of games and forced us to buy the
latest editions. The changes have been too drastic to allow editions to play
together.
*They have constantly produced miniatures, included with their games that
many gamers do not want, but give no allowance to this.
*They have consistently produced games without complete rules sets, as to
allow them to sell us future rules that should have been included.
*They have consistently produced games for which support is dropped in 18
months.
*They have produced rule sets that are ambiguous and force us to buy a
monthly magazine for "official" answers.
*They have taken a gaming magazine, added "official" rules and sold us the
latest catalogue.
*They have "promised" that army books would be compatible with the latest
edition of Warhammer and then proceed to rewrite them. Thus, forcing us to
purchase OUR army books again.
*They have replaced metal miniatures with plastic ones and either kept the
price the same or raised it.
*They have reduced the number of "plastic" miniatures in the plastic boxed
set, to allow us to "easier field our regiments" but not lowered the price.
*They have disallowed older "official Citadel" miniatures in tournaments,
saying that they are no longer "official"
*They insist that all miniatures be what you see is what you get, or not
allow their use in games.
*They have made the Rhino model from the same mold for over ten years. Yet
they have went form $12.50 US for two to $18.00 US for one.
*They have produced plastic Terminator models and attempted to sell them for
the outrageous price of $6.00 U.S. each.
*They have put items such as the Forbidden Rod, The Book of Ashur in our
games.
*They have insulted us by saying "if the rules don't cover it, roll a d6",
because they have written poor rules.
*They have taken rules from older editions of games and introduced them as
"new", in rewritten Army books.
*They have reduced the number of models in a blister pack from 3 to 2 and
raised prices of the packs.
*They charge outrageous prices for "Special Characters" even though you only
get one miniature in the pack, and then disallow them in a tournament games.
*They remake greater demon models and raise the price 300%.
*They make regiments of troops in Fantasy Battle not worth buying, eg.
*Two Skaven Slaves for $6.00 US for 4 pts. of models in the game.
*They have given snotty customer service calls, requesting that the
"Consumer" should say "Please!", when it is clear that they should say
"Please!" to us!
*They have harassed distributors for selling their product as they see fit.
*They have harassed store owners for the way they decide to conduct
business.
*They have harrassed store owners for discounting their product because it
cut into their own mail order service.
*They have often said that gamers should use their own models and
conversions, but will not allow them in a tournament.
*They have deceived the consumer, by repurchasing, repackaging and reselling
miniatures at a higher price.
*They have produced a game, Epic 40K, which changed army organization and
figure basing, in order to sell us new miniatures.
*They have lowered the age requirements of their games and their complexity,
in order to lure in new gamers at a lower age level. abandoning the older
gamers that have played their games faithfully for years.
*They have misrepresented their position on the "Current Status" of gaming
systems.
*They have left many gamers without support, because of slowing sales. Which
they then reproduce after a number of years with new rules and miniatures.
*They have added elements of randomness to our games that add nothing to
game play, but unbalances things to a greater degree.
*They have been utterly insensitive to the voices of gamers, their needs or
their economic station.
*They have reduced the number of poses for rank and file miniatures.
*They have reduced the amount of paint in a pot to 12ml from 17.5ml and kept
the same price.
*They have ignored pleas for justification of price increases and led us to
believe it was for "quality" alone.

In every stage of these Oppressions we have Petitioned for Redress in
the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by
repeated Injury. A Company, whose Character is thus marked by every act
which may define a Monopoly, is unfit to be the Gaming supplier to a
free gaming People.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the WORLD GAMING COMMUNITY, in
General agreement, appealing to the Gamers of the world for the
rectitude of our intentions, do , in the Name, and by Authority of the
good Gamers of the World, solemnly Publish and Declare, That these
Gamers are, and of Right, ought to be, Free and Independent of Games
Workshop. That they are absolved from all Allegiance to any rules
systems and products they produce, and that all commercial Connection
between them and the Company of Games Workshop is and ought to be
totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent Gamers, they have
full Power to play and buy any games system, with any miniatures they
see fit, and to change any rules and any miniatures in order for a
better game. Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we
mutually pledge to each other our games, our fortunes, and our sacred
Honor.

Signed,
Gerald McVicker,
Member of the "World Gaming Community"