[NetEpic ML] Re: Thunderhawks

From: Markus Lesny <PugsRule_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:59:02 -0500

I recently joined your list, thinking it was Epic 40,000, but as near as I
can figure your rules are based on earlier versions of Epic (there a
numerous references to units that I have not seen since they appeared in
White Dwarf over ten years ago.)

    Were you to play Epic 40,000, thunderhawks still have the ability to
drop of troops or to pick them up out of a trouble situation (per the Evac
rules in Firepower #1). In this game a very effective way to counter air
attacks is placing war engines, even the lowly superheavy tanks (battle
fortresses, engines of Vaul, or what have you) on flak orders per Firepower
#1. You can snapfire at evey plane that passes within range of your
engine's guns, general 45-60cm. This makes for quite an umbrella,
especially where two or three engines overlap. Just a guess, but I doubt
your opponent will field lots of air against you ever again.
    In Epic 40,000, the only thing that approaches a thunderhawk's ability
to suddenly deploy troops is the Eldar Vampire, and even this is much less
potent, able to transport only 4 (infantry) units, and given the armor of
elves, hardly much of a long term threat if dropped behind your lines.