RE: [NetEpic ML] Night Fight!

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:44:44 +0300

That's what I meant; a constant range for each troop type. The spotting
range of vehicles is higher because I suppose even in 40k universe vehicles
carry better sensors than footsloggers. what variation there is is dependent
of technology base.

> Possibly, a player could be allowed to modify a certain
> number (1 detachment
> per 5 in army or base it on point value of battle) to have
> flares, scanners
> goggles etc. to give them unhindred range.

I think this sort of thing is better suited for skirmish scale games, hence
the abstraction. Besides, all marines carry the equivalent of night vision
but I still wouldn't give them their normal range. Higher than IG yes but
not as if it was day.

> >2) Units which have fired can be targeted at up to normal
> range (assuming
> >LOS exists, of course). This is for simplicity, play
> balance, and to avoid
> >unnecessary special rules; I know that deathspinners don't
> have much of a
> >muzzle flash.
>
> Seems okay..players could make a sort of muzzle flash counter like in
> Warzone.

That's what I thought.

> >3) Indirect barrages scatter 3d6cm if they miss.
>
> This seems like a less good idea. Artillery do not care
> whether their map
> coordinates are dark or not. Rather reduce the range forward
> observers work
> on

Already reduced to the relevant spotting range; you can't call artillery on
something you can't see. Artillery may not care whether the map coordinates
are dark or not but the observers are less likely to get the coordinates
right in darkness, hence the larger marigin of error. Especially since we
can't give them -1 to hit modifier.

> >5) Anything else?
>
> Daemons and tyranids ought tobe taken into account.
> Rules for ambushing enemies at night (possibly a simple die
> roll, and if
> succesfull a bonus to CAF applies)

The spotting range would take care of this; I could see the daemons being
able to see normally.

As for ambush, I don't know. If someone could vcome up with some simple
rules...

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.