RE: [NetEpic ML] Net epic background ideas

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:43:48 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Peter Ramos [mailto:primarch_at_...]
Sent: 30. October 2001 19:31
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [NetEpic ML] Net epic background ideas

>Hi!

>Here is some fluff we can expand upon. The sources are many and mostly old
GW books.

>Era of Legend

>In mans pre-history the celtic driuds, due to extreme foresight, foresaw
the coming of the >chaos gods and mankinds destruction. They realized no one
man or group of men could face >them as their power drew from the vices of
men (violence, decay, magic, etc). The answer >came with sacrificed as using
the magic of Stonehenge the druidic culture to a man killed >itself to be
reborn in the essence of one man (later to be known as The Emperor). The
>druids passed from history their legacy and power concentrated in this most
special of >humans.

>Ever wonder if this could ever be done again with the sacrifice of many
powerful psykers?

Wasn't the true purpose of Illuminati to sacrifice the Senseis to the Golden
Throne at the moment when the Emperor's consciousness fails so that the
Emperor would be reborn?

>Era of Guidance

>By this time the Emperor was a couple of thousands of years in age, slowly
advancing >mankind. The most thought provoking what if's would be how man
would have evolved if he had >consolidated his rule over man early on,
instead of thousands of years in the future.

>Era of Technology

>This is the first era were army lists and a detail history can be made with
some guideline >questions:

>What faction finally dominated the earth?

Probably not one single faction, but there would be several factions forming
a more or less uneasy confederation of some sort (the UN?). This would make
it easy for the central authority to rupture during the age of strife as
typical human nature (selfishness and tendency towards violence) takes over
when conflicts of interest start to occur during the colonization

>Why was warp travel the only method of rapid travel?

Dunno. How did they even know about the Warp since there were no psykers at
the time (save the Emperor)? Did he invent the warp travel? My guess is that
the warp at the time was a lot safer due to the fact that (according to some
early fluff) the Chaos gods only rose to prominence when the worse side of
humanity started to saturate the warp ever more rapidly during the age of
technology.

>What impact would an alternate travel method have on the evolution of
Imperial history?

There would be no navis nobilite. Space travel would be much safer; no ships
would be lost to warp, warp storms would no longer affect travel to systems.
So the effect would be huge.

>Was it one faction dominating the galaxy or many?

See above. In short, one fragile confederation or alliance consisting of
several factions.

>What's left of these factions and were? (great scenarios could come out of
this).

Lost human worlds in various states of anarchy. Maybe some _really_
technologically advanced systems where ogre-level technology is still more
or less around.

>How advanced would factions be when cut off by warp storms?

Depends. Squats are pretty advanced I'd say but there are plenty of feral,
medieval and even dead (yes, that is dead, not death) worlds out there.

>How did they navigate without the astronomicon?

There are several possibilities:
1) By making calculated jumps. This is slower than navigated jumps but not
overtly so; it would still be possible to colonize the better part of
galaxy.

2) The navigators started emerging during the age of technology as some sort
of proto-psykers. I have never seen any official fluff on _when_ they
started to appear.

3) They had some sort of immaterium analyzer allowing longer calculated
jumps.

4) Some other reason somebody else is doubtlessly able to come up with. ;)

>Era of strife

>While galaxy spanning conflict is out, how did factions within systems deal
with the new >situation?

How has humankind on the surface of a single _planet_ so far dealt with
comparable situations? ;)

>Were all factions overcome by warp storms or did some find a way around it?

All were affected. However, the warp storms weren't of constant strength
everywhere. At times they would abate slightly within a certain area.

>Did other abhumas evolve?

If we can find some good ones, why not.

>Era of Man
>This is were a lot of work can be done, since we can alter GW fluff to
taste, the >possibilities are very vast.

Indeed. The great crusade, the Horus Heresy, the age of Apostasy...

>Era of Change
>
>This one fascinates me the most. I think GW's fluff really needs to advance
beyond where >its at now. The Emperor cannot live forever, but what happens
we it does happen? The >administratum hides it to hold power? The star child
arrives? If it does what happens to >the Imperium? Does the Imperium
collapse? If it does what impact does it have on war on all >fronts? Endless
possibilites.

I'll think about this and write a separate post about my take on this.

>No doubt you'll have a lot to say.

>Peter

P.S. Could you post in plaintext? Pleeeze? :)

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.